Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 Neon SXT Yellow-New to My Garage

Discussion in 'Neon' started by John Croucher, Dec 25, 2017.

1. John Croucher

John Croucher New Member

I scored what seemed to be a really nice garage kept, low miles 86,000 fully loaded SXT. I have spent $1,200 in repairs over the last couple of months. The rubber is rotting away. Rear wheel hub bearing fell out, Rear brakes rusted and non working, but new shoes. Rebuilt the front end with an 8 piece parts kit. Sway bar bushings. Engine Idler tension pulley. Roll pin fell out of sunroof track. Hose on the charcoal canister broke. Power steering sensor, intake manifold pressure sensor. Spark plugs, fluids and filters. Headlights replaced.

Motor mounts and exhaust are next. Previous owner bought it new, drove 2 miles to work and back 5 days a week and then into the garage at night.

What next?

2. John Croucher

John Croucher New Member

Another problem I addressed. The headlights would get bright and dim. I found the red wire from the battery to the fuse box had melted the battery end terminal to the battery lifting handle. I used a heat gun to break the bond and cut the battery lifting handle off. I am assuming there was some grounding going on. The lights quit modulating and the wire does not seem to get as hot.

3. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

I had an '03 yellow SXT that I bought new. It had the chrome-plated wheels. It was the only one I ever saw. There were several yellow ones in my area at the time, but mine was the only one with the chromed wheels. I'm not sure I ever saw another with the chrome wheels regardless of color. It was a good car, but I only kept it for a year as I found out the R/T model was being discontinued at the end of '04 production and I traded it on what may have been the last new '04 R/T in September of '04. I still have that car.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Rear drum brakes, right? You may want to replace the rear brake wheel cylinders, if they are sticking or seeping and a brake hardware kit that includes all new springs on a 15 year-old car. Shoes were used for the parking brake on rear disc brakes.
    Use ATF+4 in the transaxle if this is the 4-speed auto.
    A PCM/TCM flash greatly improved starting, running and shifting, if it hasn't been done yet:
    https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neontsbs/2003/18-024-05.pdf
    https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neontsbs/2003/21-006-03.pdf
    Some rubber weatherstripping may still be available.

5. John Croucher

John Croucher New Member

Who should do the PCM/TCM flash. The car has both symptoms. Poor idling in gear and auto transmission does not seam to shift correctly. Stays in second and quickly passes third.

Rubber on body panels are still in good shape.

It is a fun car to drive. I get funny looks when a 60 y.o. guy climbs out of a bright yellow car. Lot of compliments on the condition of the car overall.

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Only a dealer is going to be able to perform the computer reflashes.