Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 neon vibration

Discussion in 'Neon' started by John Freeman, Feb 1, 2016.

1. John Freeman

John Freeman New Member

I have a 2003 Neon SXT it has a pretty good vibration when stopped in gear we replaced all the mounts and harmonic balancer still have vibration any other ideas John

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Is it a low or rough idle or is it engine vibration being transferred into the car body?
    Does the noise change when steering left or right at low (i.e.-parking lot) speeds? Does the noise change between Drive and Reverse?
    Were the motor mounts adjusted after installation to equalize axle lengths? Usually, but not always you can use the bolt washer marks left behind to place the mounts in their original positions. Any shiny metal spots (witness marks) on the old mounts that might indicate a metal-to-metal contact?
    Were OEM mounts used?

3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

There are 2 engine mounts and 2 torque struts on the engine. One engine mount on driver's side engine compartment holds transmission to body. The passenger side engine mount holds the engine bracket to the body. To get to this you have to remove the upper and lower torque strut on the passenger side, remove the front wheel, use a T55 torx bit to unbolt the engine bracket from the mount. Then you remove the power steering pump and jack the engine up so you can remove the bolts from the bracket. Then you can access the bolts on the passenger side engine mount. Is this a basic outline of what you did? It would be easy to confuse the upper torque strut as an engine mount and think that is all that holds the engine on the passenger side.

4. John Freeman

John Freeman New Member

it seems to be a engine vibration being transferred to the body same in reveres or drive don,t think it changes with the steering will check cars not here now not all oem mounts all mounts where changed also changed belt tensioner and plate had bad wheel on tensioner since I had to take all apart any way I did some of the work then took it to a friends shop who took it to a dodge dealer who said it is a common problem seems they should have knwn what it was

5. John Croucher

John Croucher New Member

Two things that fixed the poor idle in gear. I took the throttle body off and cleaned it with a fiber brush and cleaner. Second problem was a cracked hose on the charcoal canister. The hose has curves and a small end and large end. The hose is not available. My fix. I slid heat shrink tubing over the hose and heated it until it conformed to the hose shape. Slid a second layer over and heated again. Harbor Freight has the tubing cheap.

6. John Croucher

John Croucher New Member

There is also an idle adjusting screw at the cable crank on the throttle body. I have not adjust this. The hose and cleaning seems to have worked and the engine does not drop in rpm's while in gear or turning on electric power or a.c.