Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 PT Cruiser GT need help now

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by JULIE SPRINGER, Jul 22, 2017.

1. JULIE SPRINGER

Hi, my name is Julie I live in Portland Oregon. I've been a member of the website for quite some time and refer to it all the time for information. I have a GT that I bought for my mom who had cancer. A year ago I lost my husband to cancer had to give up my brand new truck and start driving the PT Cruiser that was paid off. At the time, I had no idea that the the car I lovingly refer to as baby card with such a powerful little s***. I drove the car from Arizona back out to my native state of Oregon and it ran I could dream. Once I got here I started having all kinds of problems with the car. In the last 6 months I have rebuilt the transmission I poured tons of money into it replacing all kinds of plastic parts on it because the acclimation from States. Recently the timing belt went out and had all kinds of mechanics just really screw me over. Down to one of them trying to actually steal the turbo out of the car unreal. I'm now left with no money and still having all kinds of problems with the car as the motor has been moved around so much it's hard to even explain what's happened to it it is now running no codes but the motor is not sitting in the right places and has been jacked around so many times I just don't know what's wrong with it anymore I have to rely on the car to have a job I need some direction for somebody to talk to to get me going on the right direction to get it to the right people to get it fixed in the right places if somebody could reach out to me on this level I would really appreciate it respectfully,
    Julie

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Seems like you have a multitude of issues and some very unscrupulous "mechanics". I've sent you a PM. I used to own an 03 GT. That's my avatar.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome. Sorry about your losses to cancer. My wife has beat it 3 times in her life so far.
    By the 'engine not sitting in the right places', are you referring to the engine and transaxle not being mounted in the car correctly? Is it visibly 'off-center' in the engine compartment?
    I would first evaluate the motor mount situation. It sounds like something hasn't been fastened down correctly or is missing?
    2010-03-08_225645_torque_struts.gif

4. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Julie; sorry about your rough times. The struts talked about by IC above have to be removed to replace the timing belt. And if they are not properly adjusted when they are installed they cause noise and misalignment problems. It is an easy fix for someone who knows how to do it. The dimension at the top of the motor is like 4.7" per the manual. All that happens is just a tilting of the motor to its correct position. This requires labor only, unless the struts themselves are worn.

5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Somehow, I get the feeling that Julie isn't coming back.

6. JULIE SPRINGER

7. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Julie. Tell us what's going on and did you check the PM I sent you?

8. JULIE SPRINGER

am here, am so stressed, I resorted to working on it myself...my findings.
    mobile mechanic, who tried to steal turbo...stuff unpluged from turbo. hose frk. turbo to air cleaner melted...am going to have to find a way to just bandaid for now. and the figure our how to reconnect stuff I unhooked. a because I've been taken advantage of so much..and finally list my job over this

9. JULIE SPRINGER

am not longer scared to reach into the engine

10. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I have an extra turbo hose that runs from the air box to the turbo, if that's the one you're referring to. I will let you have it if you just pay for shipping. It's in very good condition. I hate to see a GT not on the road and I kind of regret selling mine. My wife has serious health issues and I've had to sell both my GT and my Grand Caravan to pay doctor bills. That's the ONLY reason that I'll ask you to pay shipping on the turbo hose. You can PM me your information. Don't publicize it here. And if you want some great information, help and diagrams, please go to www.ptcruiserlinks.com. Great forum and great, helpful members there too. I'm not the only member here that's a member there.

11. JULIE SPRINGER

ok, I live in Portland, but I broke down in Salem oregon. am I able to post pictures

12. JULIE SPRINGER

Am going to need some guidenice hooking back up the turbo hoses

13. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I don't know about posting pictures. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to. Just don't use photobucket. I use imgur.com when I post. All I'd need is an address to where you are in order to ship the hose.

14. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I can't really help with the hoses. I no longer have mine and have no pictures. Go to the pt forum. You really shouldn't make ANY of your personal information public. It's not a safe world that we live in anymore.

15. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

IIRC, the turbo hose is a straight fit from the air box to the turbo. There's one hose that connects to a nipple on the turbo hose that I THINK goes to a splitter off the vacuum hose to the power brake booster. And of course you have the small hose from the valve cover to the air box and another smaller vacuum line from the firewall to the smallest fitting on the turbo hose. Like I said, I THINK. I've had two brain surgeries and a terrible memory.

16. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I have a picture of that turbo hose posted on the pt forum too. Just go over there and look in the for sale header. You'll find it. I'm Chuzz there too. Gotta run for now. Dinner is ready and I need to help my wife.

17. JULIE SPRINGER

I know this is awful. I Call her baby car.
    ***mod edit***
    Portland, OR 97239
    Thank-You.
    when I inherited baby, she had 70k, now shes at 120k. those miles were driven in thearpy. you can say we fell apart together

18. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Julie, we discourage posting of locations or email addresses in a thread. You are welcome to share this information in a PM with members, just not on the forum. Thanks.
    You need to find someone or try to evaluate the situation first. I have had to 'undo' other mechanics work and start-over with a repair before. I don't know if you know someone who gives 'free estimates', but it may have to start with a 'diagnostic fee' and an explanation to you of what has to be done and how much it will be. It may be simple, it may not be so simple.
    If you feel that you can tackle the job yourself after knowing what must be done, that would be a positive step. We are here to help.

19. JULIE SPRINGER

sorry..it won't happen again.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  20. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Julie, the hose I'm talking about has this number (04891406AB) on it. I'm still willing to give it to you for the cost of shipping to my wife's Paypal account. You need to let me know if you want it. Otherwise, I'm going to sell it to someone on another forum for $40. You need to PM me ASAP.