Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 grand cherokee, shift lock

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by xcaliber81, Aug 6, 2017.

1. xcaliber81

xcaliber81 Member

I tried posting this on on another forum but I got zero answers and tbh I really need to fix this.

I have a 2004 wj overland and recently I discovered my shifter lock doesn't work properly, with the ignition to on I try to move the shifter from park and I need to press the brake peddal down but once I turn the ignition to off I can freely shift any gear with no brake pushed what so ever.

My worry is someone can smash my window and shift to neutral and do whatever they want, please help I really need to fix this.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

That is the BTSI (Brake-Transmission Shift Interlock). There is a cable that runs between the ignition key cylinder and the floor shifter that is adjustable. There is an in-line electrical solenoid that activates when you press the brake pedal to allow shifting out of Park. It also prevents removing the ignition key unless it is fully in Park. You should hear a faint 'click' from the solenoid when you press the brake pedal.
    Once adjusted, it shouldn't lose adjustment unless someone messes with it. More likely it can bind at the levers on each end. Dust, pet hair or broken plastic is fairly common.
    If you remove the steering column shroud (the steering wheel can stay on) and the shifter bezel on the center console, you can observe the interlock mechanism and decide what is or isn't happening:
    2012-01-17_221338_80ba79c2.gif

3. xcaliber81

xcaliber81 Member

So removing the center console will need to happen as well?

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Is there a plate or bezel that can pull off? Otherwise yes, the console may have to be emptied and unscrewed from the floor. They aren't that bad to take out.

5. Sledge1998

Sledge1998 Member

Wasn't there a recall about this issue?

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There was a 'Customer Satisfaction Notification' #C07 about 'Recommendations for avoiding unintended vehicle movement' on Grand Cherokee (WJ) built before February 2003. It wasn't a recall.
    It basically told people to make sure that the vehicle was in Park, remove the ignition key and set the Parking brake before exiting the vehicle. No service or parts were indicated. There was an addenda page to be added to the glove box with the owners manual.