AF: 2004 PT Cruiser disappearing coolant | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 PT Cruiser disappearing coolant

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Jokir2011, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Jokir2011

Jokir2011 New Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences and know-how, i guess it's hard to put in a sentence or two the trials and frustrations and little victories... on closer inspection of my rad cap (the water was there, right upto the neck) i noticed the lower seal was hard with a nibble off one edge.

i went to the spares shop to purchase a replacement, he gave me a 17psi??? that was slightly narrower and it rattled about in the neck, so i took it back and ordered online.

with my parkinsons wobble i would be stressing trying to do the pressure thing, so i've booked in to the test station for monday.... the level is now there, albeit the expansion is empty. fingers crossed

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Check the hose from the filler neck to the over flow for cracks or holes. Mine had a slight crack right beside the clamp holding it on to the nipple from the filler neck. I just replaced the hose and all was well.

3. Jokir2011

Jokir2011 New Member

Question:... Is the coolant dropped when a vehicle goes in for a clutch fitting?... That seems to be a likely scenario; in turn, the garage "could" have forgotten to refill the coolant and/or bleed air out of the system. We can sometimes be too hasty and fear that it's the car that's letting us down, when in reality human error seems to get overlooked.

Having "cruised" around the block for the third time last night, the coolant is still up to the rad cap (New cap now fitted) and coolant in the expansion is between "fill" and "hot".

I still have the car booked in for a service on monday , best to be sure & safe.

4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

No, there's no need to drain any coolant when doing a clutch replacement. At least not on anything I've ever worked on. Of course, I've never replaced a clutch in a FWD vehicle, either.

5. MTNHIKER

MTNHIKER New Member

It's like a childproof cap. I wear gorilla gloves when taking off a radiator cap. Gives extra grip. Do as someone else said, and push down on it while you're turning it. I did have one cap once that required a set of channel locks to do it. I have one that was dipped in plastic so as not to damage anything ..........could just be a tough bugger like that one. I'm not PT savvy yet but as most cars when the radiator is full to the top and the reservoir loses coolant it either has a small leak you cant see. Or... one time it happened I had a cracked head when it only leaked behind the head while it was running at high speed and it never dripped on the ground. Mechanic put it on a lift, revved it up, and there it was dripping barely perceptible behind the head. (But it was a Chevy!)

6. Jokir2011

Jokir2011 New Member

SO... my PT went to have it's belly tickled at the service station on monday which set me back around $200 .... the coolant was at a steady level in the bottle and no problems were found with the pressure (although i have fitted a new rad cap). The only fault to be found was a dead cell in the battery, so i had a new one fitted. The guys didn't rate the kn (probably as they don't see that many) They told me my PT had been "mapped" and it also had a wide bore exhaust "welded on".... i guess that's why it growls... (my neighbours do too everytime i turn the key).

well at least a problem was found and rectified and i dare say that future uses of the forum can add "owner neglect" to the possible explanation to "where's my coolant gone" .. i still reckon there's a possibilty the previous garage HAD dropped the coolant and forgot to top up.... or maybe thought i'd take the car back there so they could charge me another $200 bucks to diagnose

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  7. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Glad to hear that there are no major issues, happy PT'ing :cool:

8. Jokir2011

Jokir2011 New Member

Me too.. and a HUGE "Thank You" to everyone for sharing their knowledge and suggestions, no doubt this thread will be perused by others in a similar dilemma ..and that's the beauty of the forum. what doesn't work for one, might just be the answer another is looking for.

chuzz and 06PTElectricBlue like this.