Allpar Forums banner

2004 Ram 1500 4.7 Liter Rocker Arm Torque

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chuzz 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a neighbor that has the above mentioned truck and it won't start. It pops and backfires like the timing is off (which it IS), but from what I've read about the 4.7, it's possibly loose rocker arms. I don't know if it's true, but since he has several kids to feed, I'm trying to help him cut expenses on repairs. How big of a job would it be to just remove the valve covers and retorque all of the rockers? He won't let me do it, as he's the kind of guy that HAS to do everything himself. He has a son that's about to turn 16 and wants to get the truck going so he can quit riding the school bus. Joshua (son) and I had a good conversation about HIM trying to fix the truck while his Dad's working and letting me supervise and assist him if needed. He's agreeable so I'd like to see if we can get him going. I just don't want to get into an engine I'm NOT familiar with and run into problems. I don't need his Dad being mad at both of us. LOL Anyway, if any of you guys are familiar with the 4.7 and have any suggestions and the torque spec for the rockers, I sure would appreciate it.

#2 ·
The likelihood is the engine needs work. Every story I've seen about loose rocker arms is because something else in the valve train caused it. Torque for those bolts is pretty low from what I remember.
If the 4.7 hasn't been well maintained, the engine is probably a boat anchor.

#3 ·
Before you jump to conclusions about the engine are you sure the fuel pump is working? If you are not getting enough fuel it wont start and with a little fuel left in the system could lean pop, hence back fire, I would confirm its operation first and fuel pumps commonly fail.

#4 ·
. . . I have a neighbor that has the above mentioned truck and it won't start. It pops and backfires like the timing is off (which it IS), but from what I've read about the 4.7, it's possibly loose rocker arms. . . . .
The 4.7 V8 along with 3.7 V6 derivative tended to have a problem with the cam rocker arms getting displaced from their mounting locations. Dirty oil and poor engine oil maintenance causes sludge and grit to build up in the hydraulic valve adjusters. They stop moving freely and stick and this causes the cam follower arms to become dislodged. Dislodged cam follower arms could cause a valve to be slightly open or drop out of the way and not allow a valve to open. Watch this Y T video where the technician describes, diagnoses, and fixes a poor running 3.7 V6 in a Jeep Liberty. Two cylinders have cam followers missing from their correct position. I would suggest removing the camshaft covers and check that the cam followers are in their proper locations.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLQtf1xbVaw

I will give credit to contributor ImperialCrown for the following reference to service manual information. Look for the index item for 2002 DR Dodge Ram 1500 service manual -> 02dre.pdf. This is the service manual for a 2002 Ram 1500. Chapter 9 has engine information where you will find documentation for the 4.7 liter V8. This service information should be valid for a 2004 model.

Index of /pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals (at http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service%20Manuals/ )

#5 ·
Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I will get with Steve and see if he wants me to help him do this. Joshua isn't up for it. Said it's too complicated for him and he's sure his Daddy will fix it for him in time for his 16th birthday in a few months. Geeezzzz! Kids nowadays!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.