AF: 2004 Ram 1500 fuel tank vent | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 Ram 1500 fuel tank vent

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Andy Dufresne, May 26, 2020.

1. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Active Member

Picked up a clean, one owner, Cali,185k mile, Hemi SLT quad cab...... runs great. After driving I smell fuel vapors at the back of the truck, and underneath from the tank back is all grimy from something going on for years. No leaks on the ground, no smell after it sits awhile. What should I be looking for?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Smell = leak.

It could be the fuel lines, as I've experienced them rot until there were pinholes, a strong smell, and no fluid leak (especially if it's the vent line). Rubber lines can crack and only leak when they flex, if it's a very tiny, shallow crack. Take it seriously, this could put you and others in extreme danger.
    Could also be a crumbling grommet on the filler neck, or a pinch weld seam on the tank opening up, if it's a metal tank. Get it checked right away.

Years ago, I discovered a leak at the pinch weld seam on my 92 Daytona's tank. It would leak slightly if it was filled more than halfway. I was driving it home for the last time before taking it off the road to fix it. A motorcyclist was behind me, and when I pulled into a vegetable stand parking lot, he pulled in behind me. As I got out to shop, he walked over and very quietly and casually said, "You know, when you're on a bike, you can smell lots of things."
    I looked at him sheepishly and said, "Like gasoline?"
    He gave a very slight nod and I told him I was on my way home to fix it.
    To this day, for some reason, whether it be his mannerisms, or what, I suspect he was a very sympathetic but concerned police officer. I replaced the tank and pump, and grommets, and was good to go.

3. Andy Dufresne

Thanks....It is a plastic tank......and smells the same half full or or with only a gallon left in it. Never had it full yet.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Is the CHECK ENGINE / MALFUNCTION lamp illuminated on the instrument panel? If there was a leak in the system the periodic leak detection tests run by the PCM (powertrain control module) would set an evaporative emission code (small, medium, or large leak).

If you have no MALFUNCTION lamp illuminated then I would suspect a vapor canister that is compromised and can no longer hold gasoline vapors. When you stop the diurnal effect of temperature change causes some of the liquid fuel to vaporize. It should be absorbed by the vapor canister before venting to the atmosphere but the absorption is not happening.

5. chargermike

chargermike Well-Known Member

I was getting gas vapor odor on my ram. My 2006 Ram fuel pump module plastic was cracked in multiple places at the top of the unit. I replaced my module with a new one with no more issues. I checked with a mechanic friend and he said he has seen it before on other year trucks also.

6. Andy Dufresne

Mike.....The fuel pump is probably leaking at the top of the tank, filled to 1/4 tank and saw some weeping down the sides of the tank after driving around town yesterday.