AF: 2005 leak around passenger door | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 leak around passenger door

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by rhensonsr, Feb 5, 2020.

1. rhensonsr

rhensonsr Member

I have a 2005 that gets wet inside the passenger front door everytime it rains. There is a drip where the top dash meets the air bag cover. Last night I caulked both rubber seals and a gap around the top of the windshield but it is still leaking. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Does your PT have a sunroof?

3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Are the cowl drains clear of debris? I have had to clear them of leaves from parking near trees. Rainwater will come in through the fresh air intake and onto the passenger floor if it can't drain out of the cowl (wiper plenum).

4. rhensonsr

rhensonsr Member

No sunroof. I took the trim piece that runs to the right of the windshield and found the water coming from the top of that trim piece but cannot see where the water originates. Probably will stuff some cloth in the grooves of the trim and hope it will slow the leak.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

With the trim piece off and a helper, run a garden hose stream at low pressure around the area outside the vehicle to see where the water is coming in. Is it entering at the top of the windshield weatherstrip?

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Cars often rust out in that corner behind the trim, eventually showing up as a scab at the corner of the windshield on the roof. Sometimes just from trapping water; often from a windshield replacement where they sawed through the gasket material with that razor wire and scraped to the bare metal, then did not do any touch-up with paint. The latter was my case, my body shop owner told me, and he fabbed new windshield channel, welded it in place, painted, and installed the new windshield (#6 for my 92 Dakota).