AF: 2005 PT Cruiser Classic 2.4l auto | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 PT Cruiser Classic 2.4l auto

Discussion in 'Welcome to Allpar!' started by HOTPIG175, Sep 5, 2020.

1. HOTPIG175

HOTPIG175 Member

Thanks Doug D.

No Walmarts in NZ, but I'm sure I'll find something, somewhere!

Have a good one.

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

How far are you from Kaiapoi? There is an Autozone there. +64 3-327 3434

HOTPIG175 likes this.
  3. HOTPIG175

HOTPIG175 Member

Hey chuzz.

Oh, the irony.

I finally committed myself to the Penrite decision, only to discover that , while they showed it as in stock today, in fact it wasn't. They did the hell-search, and while I may have been able to buy it at REPCO, I refuse to deal with them. Long story, and see if you can figure out what REPCO is an anagram for. Hint: it ivolves a couple of words that you generally wouldn't use in the presence of a female. Unless you were trying to offend or cause a fight.

Kaiapoi. Appreciate the thought, and really interested to hear that there is an Autozone there.

Unfortunately, its a 2422km round trip, and involves a VERY expensive and hideous voyage between NZ's North and South islands - if the ferry isn't cancelled due to weather conditions. which it often is. So I'll call into a branch of SCA on my way down to the funeral, who have actually got a bunch of stock. Confirmed.

I may give Autozone a call, though, and see if they are looking at expanding, as I own an LLC, so maybe we could look at setting up some branches in the north. Somewhat oddly, there are companies operating as Autozone, as provided by you, Auto Zone Services, (who just got pinged for passing unroadworthy cars as safe, and seem to be shut down, or getting there), and yet another Auto Zone, located in Auckland, but both branches are used-car dealerships.

chuzz, you have gone way beyond the "call of duty", and I cannot tell you how stunned and grateful that you would do that.

Man, if you ever come out to NZ, I'll DRIVE you to Kaiapoi, just for the hell of it, which isn't a thrill a minute. I spent a night there, having just collected a brand-new 1982 Nissan P310 wagon from head office and almost died of boredom. Possibly, the full-on earthquakes 10 years ago have meant that there have been some changes... Not hat I would have wished that still unresolved disater upon anyone. NOT a good chapter in NZ history

It would be good if you could see some of this country - I'll get crucified by my fellow countrymen for saying this, but the South Island is known as the "Mainland".

It's actually a lot like Canada, whereas the North is just built-up and generally not too thrilling, unless you know the secret places.

Thanks again, and I mean that to bits.

Cheers, and take care.

#23 HOTPIG175, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Dave Z and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Well, I certainly appreciate the offer, my man. I'm old and broke and don't ever see that happening, but that's a very kind offer. My daughter has a friend we affectionately call "Kiwi" there in NZ. They've been pen pals for about 15 years and she loves her home there. I've always thought NZ has some of the most beautiful land in the world. I'd love to be able to see it someday. And I don't call what I've done anything special. We ALL try to do the best we can think of for any and all members.

HOTPIG175 likes this.
  5. HOTPIG175

HOTPIG175 Member

Well chuzz,

Old and broke is my middle name, so we have that in common too.

I lived in Illinois for some years, in Champaign-Urbana, and my main recollection was that is was flat, had lots of corn and university students, and it was bloody cold!

I loved the Rockies and the Badlands, though, and New Mexico was surreal. Lightning and tumbleweed. I'd live there anytime. can't afford the airfare, and nobody's going anywhere at the moment, anyhoo.

There were some excellent cars, though, if you're into overpowered tanks, such as the mighty Oldsmobile Delta 88, running 455 cid of pre anti-smog engine, and I think at some stage there was a metallic blue Pontiac Catalina, with similar powertrain, and a Plymouth Fury, (and it WAS angry), and a Dodge Monaco.

Then came the American equivalent of the Toyota Camry wagon - a Chev Concours wagon, with a 350 in it, that developed all of 160 bhp, less than the 283 in the Bel Air.

The Concours actually resides in NZ now, but needs a total rebuild - 400,000 miles will do that, I guess, and using it to haul boats out of the sea was possibly unwise from the corrosion perspective.

Anyway, my point was that I appreciate all the info that you and others have given me, and I'm serious - if you get the chance to come over here, let me know. Seriously.

I'm just in the process of trying to buy a Nissan Civilian motor-home: 1998 Nissan Civilian | City Motorhomes & Caravans (at http://citymotorhomes.co.nz/products/911-1998-nissan-civilian )
    Admittedly it's rather ancient, but hasn't even reached 100K miles yet. Just like the mighty PT!!!

I've had it with renting, and my landlords are doing my head in - the rent payments on the apartment would cover the purchase price in just over 2 years, not including the interest, of course, but I think it's time for a radical lifestyle change.

Cheers, chuzz, and thanks again.

Take care.

chuzz and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  6. HOTPIG175

HOTPIG175 Member

Hi 06PTElectricBlue,

Yeah just back from funeral down the line, with a stop-off at my recently married little sister's place.

Funeral was something I'm still processing, but time with Luke and Julia was amazing - talk about getting spoilt!

Promptly fell over when I arrived home, before I'd even got to the front door - looked like a probable face-plant, as both hands were full, but avoided that...

Both knees, left shoulder, elbow and back. Welcome home!

Got Doctor's appointment on Monday next.

Cruiser went well, though noticeable vibration on expressway when accelerating from 100km/h, (60 mph) tp 110km/h.

I tend to suspect that the violent cutting in and out and surging when the cam angle sensor went out to lunch might have damaged some, hopefully not all, engine mounts, cos they are not inexpensive, and look like a bundle of joy to replace.

Otherwise, it went well, even though the cruise control is a bit vigorous, sending things into kickdown way faster and more frequent than would happen if I was in charge of the gas pedal.

Thanks for the link to the video, but I couldn't access it, as Warner Bros. have some copyright issue going on, which precludes Kiwis from accessing it.

The thought was kind, and bugger the corporates!!!

Cheers, and take care

7. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

? :confused:

Not sure what you mean, I didn't post a link to a video, only a link to download a copy of the Owner's Manual.

In fact, I don't see any posts from anyone in this thread that has a video.

8. HOTPIG175

HOTPIG175 Member

Ok, that's weird!
    I definitely got the Owners Manual - many thanks for that.
    I have no idea what is going on with the net at present, as I just spent an hour and a half drafting one to a Government Department, and it suddenly went into some kind of diagnostic mode on their site, and the entire thing has vanished.
    Apologies for the confusion, and thanks so much for alerting me.
    Cheers, Andy

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  9. HOTPIG175

HOTPIG175 Member

This is what I got - maybe I'm overtired, or losing my marbles, but I couldn't find it in the threads either,
    Go figure, but see below:

HOTPIG175, 06PTElectricBlue replied to a thread you are watching at Allpar Forums.

2005 PT Cruiser Classic 2.4l auto
    [​IMG]
    I know it's not even close, but when I think of New Zealand, it reminds me of this movie and this opening scene :cool:

Embedded Media
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYLjlpP0NY

10. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Ok, you're not losing your marbles :)

I did post that, but then deleted it because the vid wasn't playing correctly, but I also didn't know that you would get a reply about my post. ;)

It's the opening chase scene in the original Mad Max :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYLjlpP0NY

Original Screen-Used Mad Max Interceptor is For Sale (at https://jesusbehindthewheel.com/2020/02/10/original-screen-used-mad-max-interceptor-is-for-sale/ )

Original Screen-Used Mad Max Interceptor is For Sale

[​IMG]

The Last of the V8 Interceptors

The duck’s guts! The coolest police car ever shown on film (in my opinion) and star of the cult classic Mad Max film from 1979 is now for sale, and the car isn’t parked in the land down under… it’s in Florida.

Whichcar.com covered the story of the Ford Falcon XB GT, aka the Last V8 Interceptor, throughout its life as a hero car. The Max Mad Interceptor landed on American spoil back in 2011 as part of a deal when real estate developer Michael Dezer purchased the entire inventory of Cars Of the Stars Museum based out in the United Kingdom. The inventory was shipped overseas where Dezer opened up the Orlando Auto Museum. It is unclear as to why they are selling this car, but maybe they want to ride the hype of the Bullitt Mustang’s multi-million dollar hammer drop a few weeks ago.

However, what makes this movie car rarer than others is that it has 2 movie credits under its fan belt. This Ford Falcon XB GT was used in both Mad Max and the sequel Mad Max: The Road Warrior. The car started life as a full-spec 1974 Ford Falcon XB GT with a 351 V8, Top Loader, disc brakes, 9-inch rear end, and traction bars. A real hot Aussie-muscle car that was just another used car in 1977 when it was taken to Ray Beckerly at Graf-X International to be turned into a movie star. Whichcar.com has a fantastic article on how the Interceptor was built as it took several talented hands to finish it. The original Mad Max film was a $350,000 budget film, with only $20,000 separated for getting vehicles and $5,000 was on reserve for vehicle repairs during film production.

#30 06PTElectricBlue, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    chuzz and HOTPIG175 like this.
  11. HOTPIG175

HOTPIG175 Member