Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 pt cruiser loud sound and vibration

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by JBot9000, Jan 21, 2017.

1. JBot9000

JBot9000 New Member

Hello all,

I have a 2005 pt cruiser, about two weeks ago I started hearing a loud sound and vibration towards the back of the car when I start going over 40km (sounds like a race car, kinda). So I took it to a shop, asked them to check out the muffler and see if there was anything wrong. They said no the muffler is fine but the watts linkage needs to be replaced. So I had the watts linkage replaced and when leaving the shop I still had the same problem. This problem only happens when the car is moving, has anyone ever had this problem before?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. It sounds like a wheel bearing or tire tread if it starts out as a growl that rises in pitch with speed?
    I would take it back to the technician and drive it with them. Then you can point out the noise to them.
    A worn Watt's link is usually a rattle.

pt006 likes this.
  3. JBot9000

JBot9000 New Member

Yeah it does sound like a growl when it starts and gets louder as a growl when I speed up until about 80km. After 80km the sound is constant whether I'm doing 80km or 100km. I also noticed that between 60km and 70km is when the vibration is really noticeable.

4. pt006

pt006 Active Member

To add to IC's answer, if it is tire noise, another test is to wait for a calm day and using a smooth road, drive at a constant speed and partially roll down either rear window. You should notice one side is louder than the other. PT's transfer noise quite a bit.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

You can usually verify a tire noise (sounds like a snow tire noise) by running your fingers around the circumference of the tire and feeling for a 'sawtooth' wear pattern on the edge. Regular tire rotations may reduce this type of wear. The rears seem particularly sensitive to this type of wear pattern.
    You can also have a helper sit in the back seat on a drive and listen to the left or right side wheel bearings. Usually both bearings don't need replacement and only one side is likely the problem.

6. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

Replacing the rear bearings on the PT is really easy, so if that's the issue, should be an easy fix.