Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 Charger stalled, won't restart

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by CaravelleMan, Jun 22, 2017.

1. CaravelleMan

CaravelleMan Active Member

Hey all,

My friends Charger got a code 1004 a couple weeks ago, so we planned on installing a new uppers intake with short runner valve. That has been put off cause the check engine light turned off and so she hasn't brought it down to be fixed.

So speed up to yesterday, and she was driving it, when the radio and ac started to lose power and come back on, followed by the car stalling and not restarting since. I told her to do the key dance and see what pops up, same code 1004. Car doesn't crank, all lights on dash light up.

What could this be? Everything I've read doesn't show code 1004 causing a no start just bad performance. It's an 8 hour drive away so I cannot look at it. Could it be a bad battery? What would cause power loss like that in the radio and ac? Could it be related?
    3.6(?) V6, 150k miles on it.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

P1004 Dodge Short Runner Valve Control Performance OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com (at https://www.engine-codes.com/p1004_dodge.html )

P1004 DODGE - Short Runner Valve Control Performance

Possible causes
    Faulty short runner valve assembly
    Short runner valve harness is open or shorted
    Short runner valve circuit poor electrical connection
    Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

What does this mean?
    Tech notes There are factory service bulletins for the following Dodge models:
    2007 Dodge 300
    2007 Dodge Magnum
    2007 Dodge Charger Dodge

Service Bulletin OBDII Code
    P1004 2009 Dodge Ram Truck (1500)
    2009 Dodge Ram Trucks (1500/2500)
    2009 Dodge Cab Chassis (3500)

Dodge Service Bulletin OBDII Code P1004
    What does this mean?

When is the code detected?
    The P1004 code is detected when the value is determined to be out of the calibrated range in either the de-energized, greater than 85% duty cycle or less than 75% duty cycle, or energized, greater than 55% duty cycle or less than 35% duty cycle, state for more than a calibrated amount of time, this DTC will set.

Possible symptoms
    Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

P1004 Dodge Description The Short Runner Valve (SRV) system is used to improve engine performance. The SRV system allows the intake charge air to bypass the long intake manifold runners between the intake manifold plenum and the intake manifold interface to the cylinder heads by providing a shorter runner directly between the plenum and the cylinder head interface The SRV position is controlled by a pneumatic/spring actuator and electronic solenoid valve. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the circuit feedback to calibrated closed range when the circuit is deenergized or to a calibrated open range when the circuit is energized.

CaravelleMan likes this.
  3. CaravelleMan

Thanks for that info, do you think that would cause the car not to turn over at all?

I was just told by her that she noticed the Battery light was on, on her dash. Something she left out yesterday....:confused:

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

No, I think this error code and the no-start are unrelated.
    Funny how the detail on the battery light was overlooked.

CaravelleMan likes this.
  5. CaravelleMan

Right! I texted her sister that her sister was killing me and she saw it LOL.

I'm like don't be mad, YOU ARE KILLING ME KID

So, she said that a cop jumped her car, and it started, but when he disconnected, the car slowly died. So I suspect a simple alternator and battery replacement.

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

7. CaravelleMan

Yeah I'll be digging into that when they get it down here to the Bay :).