Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 Chrysler Sebring Convertible 2.7L slight oil leak

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by bobisnext2, Aug 3, 2017.

1. bobisnext2

bobisnext2 Active Member

Hi:

I have a 2006 Chrysler Sebring Convertible 2.7L with 96K miles. I have noticed for several months that I have had to add a quart of oil or so between 3000 mile oil changes.

Last week I had my oil changed and was told I had an oil leak. ( I havent noticed any oil on the ground as of yet, so the leak may be slight.

Are oil leaks at 96K common on this engine? Is there a common cause?

Thanks!

bob

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Losing a quart every 3,000 miles is considered to within normal parameters.

Did the shop indicate where the oil leak was? I've never had a 2.7L so I can't comment on the specifics concerning that engine concerning oil leaks. I would suggest cleaning the engine carefully, then watch for oil stains. The problem with small or slight leaks is the oil often gets blown away by the air when the vehicle is at speed and any tell tale stain is hard to spot. Areas to watch would be the head gasket, valve cover gasket, PCV line, oil pan gasket.

valiant67 likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I'll add one more common leak point: the oil pressure sending unit. I've never had a 2.7 either, but I've had the sending unit leak oil on a few vehicles.

Doug D likes this.
  4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It's strange that they would call your attention to an oil leak, but not tell you where it is or how much to fix it. Did that information not make it to your copy of the work order?
    You need to find out where it is leaking first.

5. bobisnext2

bobisnext2 Active Member

the shop just told me about the oil leak during an oil change, and said I could make an appointment to get it degreased and inspected

6. kcapri13

kcapri13 Active Member

One spot I have found is common is the oil pan gasket, I had to do mine on my 2004 Sebring 2.7 last year. There are quite a few y-tube videos on the repair

7. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

I do not know if your oil leak and oil consumption are related. I would suggest replacing the PCV valve (with a dealer part) to see if that does not lessen your oil consumption. I was at 1 quart every 2,000 miles, replaced the PCV and am under 1 qt every 5,000 miles (yes I use synthetic and I change every 7,000 to 8,000 miles).

Yes, I have oil wetness on the pan. Since I am not seeing any drips on the floor, I am not going to chase it. I have 150,000 on an '04

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I have seen the rubber PCV hoses rot and soften from oil exposure and suck flat. This will stop PCV action. Check that as well.
    I have replaced many leaking oil pressure sender switches as well. Diagnosis first.