Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 PT Cruiser Alarm System

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Rick C, Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rick C

Rick C New Member

Trying to figure a way to disable the alarm system in my 06 Cruiser which we just bought and only had one key.
    Read some posts on the internet that state there is a valet or over ride button under the dash on the drivers side but have not been able to find it. When I use the new key that I had made which does not have the fob, it sets off the alarm. The key will start the car and let you drive but when you unlock the door with it, it sets off the alarm.
    I don't like car alarms in the first place and I'm sure my neighbors really don't like them now.
    Anyone know how to deal with this?
    Was also told that there are alarm wires that are on the door lock that might have become disconnected that might be causing the problem. Is this true?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. The factory (VTS) doesn't use an 'override' button, but many added aftermarket alarm systems did. The door lock cylinder switch may be failing. They can corrode after some years. I was able to clean and use Deoxit on my dad's switch without replacing it. They aren't easy to get at and need to come out for proper service:
    80248de2.gif
    I have heard of people grounding the tamper wire to defeat the alarm. I never have and can't verify that it would work. Alarms generally aren't easy to defeat as that would make it too easy for the crooks and defeat the purpose of a security system.

3. Rick C

Rick C New Member

Thanks Imperial Crown, That helps me know where to look.
    Rick

4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I don't know if it'll work on your 08, but on my 03 I only got 1 key with it too. I removed the steering wheel cover, zip tied the key to the key module after having 3 extra keys cut at Walmart. These were basically valet keys, but with the chipped key zip tied to the module, I could use all 3 Walmart keys and had zero problems driving wherever I wanted to. Of course, the 08 has the TIPM system whereas the 03 didn't. IDK if that will work on yours or not.

5. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Rick; your PT came with 2 'fob keys'. an A key and a B key. With both of these keys you can make several 'clone keys' yourself by using BLANK 'fob keys'. If you have only one fob key you can go to a locksmith or home depot, etc. [?] and they will make a clone key for you [$50.00 ?].

I had a couple of all metal keys made [$2.00 each]. If the alarm is set [doors locked] and I open the door with the metal key the alarm goes off. I stop the alarm by hitting the unlock button on the key fob. If I start the car with the metal key the car will shut off in 2 seconds.

If I lock the door with the metal key, it will not set the alarm. And then i can open the door with the metal key and the alarm won't go off.

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

That works for the key chip part of the security system but won't help with the entry alarm part of the system.

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The SKIM chip detector is in the steering column, surrounding the key cylinder. There is no SKIM chip detector in the door.
    There are key alarm disarm switches in the drivers and passenger doors. Some cars also have them for the trunk key cylinder. A symptom of a failing door key switch is the alarm going off when unlocking the door or turning the key won't turn off the alarm.

8. Rick C

Rick C New Member

I have been trying to find a part number for the door key switch for my 06 PT with no luck so far. If anyone knows the part number I would love to know it.
    I pulled the door panel part way off and can see the switch but don't know if there is a number on it or not. Don't want to take it all the way apart if I don't have a switch to replace it with.

9. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Oops. The 2005 PT lists the key cylinder switch (Mopar 5293090AE) but not the 2006. Perhaps they have eliminated the switch?
    I see an 'Intrusion detector' listed for 2006, but you would have to enter the car for that to alarm. Does the alarm go off after you enter the vehicle? Do you have a red dot that illuminates in the instrument cluster? Perhaps the ultrasonic intrusion transmitter and receiver (motion detector) transponders are 'dirty and obstructing the signal, giving false alarms? Is there any possible motion occurring inside the car after parking and arming the VTA? Any electronics left plugged in?

"Models equipped with the export premium version of the Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) provide some preliminary diagnostic feedback by illuminating the security indicator located in the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC), sometimes referred to as the Cab Compartment Node (CCN). If the security indicator illuminates with the ignition switch in the On position, it indicates that there is a communication problem between the intrusion module and the EMIC/CCN, or between the intrusion module and the siren module. The EMIC/CCN will also turn on the security indicator if it receives a message from the intrusion module indicating that a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been stored for a siren module fault.
    To diagnose the EMIC/CCN, the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), the intrusion module, the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus, or the electronic message inputs and outputs used to provide the electronic features of the VTA, use a diagnostic scan tool and refer to the appropriate diagnostic information".

"The microprocessor in the intrusion module contains the motion detection logic circuits and controls all of the features of the premium version of the Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA). The module uses On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) and can communicate with other modules in the vehicle as well as with a diagnostic scan tool using the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. This method of communication is used by the module to communicate with the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) and the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC). The module also communicates with the alarm siren over a dedicated serial bus circuit.
    The intrusion module microprocessor continuously monitors inputs from the intrusion sensor transmitter and receiver as well as inputs from the EMIC and the alarm siren module. The module energizes the intrusion sensor transmitter, which transmits ultrasonic signals into the vehicle cabin through a transmit transducer, then monitors the current draw of the transmitter to detect problems with the transmitter and transmitter circuits. The module also energizes the intrusion sensor receiver, which listens to the ultrasonic signals through a receive transducer as they bounce off of objects in the vehicle interior, then monitors the current draw of the receiver for data signals and to detect problems with the receiver and receiver circuits. If an object is moving in the interior, a detection circuit in the module senses this movement through the modulation of the returning data signals from the receiver.
    If movement is detected, the intrusion module sends an electronic message to the TIPM over the CAN data bus to flash the exterior lighting and sends another message to the alarm siren module over the dedicated serial bus line to sound the siren. When the EMIC or TIPM detect a breach in the perimeter protection through a door, liftgate, flip-up glass, or hood ajar switch input, they send an electronic message to the intrusion module and the module sends a message to the TIPM to flash the exterior lighting and a message to the alarm siren module to sound the siren. The module also monitors message inputs from the alarm siren module for siren battery or siren input/output circuit tamper alerts, and siren battery condition alerts, then sets active and stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) for any monitored system faults it detects. An active fault only remains for the current ignition switch cycle, while a stored fault causes a DTC to be stored in memory by the module. If a fault does not recur for fifty ignition cycles, the module will automatically erase the stored DTC.
    The intrusion module receives battery voltage on a B(+) circuit and is grounded at all times through a hard wired remote ground point. These connections allow the module to remain operational, regardless of the ignition switch position. To diagnose the intrusion module, the CAN data bus, and the electronic message inputs to and outputs from the module requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool and refer to the appropriate diagnostic information".

I feel that this will need a Chrysler dealer diagnosis with the scan tool if nothing obvious can be found.

10. Rick C

Rick C New Member

Alarm went after unlocking the door with the key and opening the door. The non fob and the fob key both have the same result when unlocking the door. If you use the fob to unlock the alarm does not go off. There is a flashing red light in the instrument cluster when the car is locked with the fob. There is a GPS plugged in to the 12 volt outlet but nothing else. I would like to try again to see if the red light stays on or goes out when the key is used to unlock but need to find a field somewhere so my neighbors don't want to linch me.

11. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

On some of the older vehicles, the scan tool would give the reason why the alarm was last tripped. This memory was useful in discovering what on the car would cause a 'false alarms' when nothing else was obvious. Intermittent electrical issues can be frustrating and any clues help.
    Many times it was the door switch, but I see no door switch other than the door ajar switch. Does the dome light work as it should? Perhaps the switch plunger has collapsed and it is misadjusted? Grasping and pulling out the inner button plunger, then closing the door against it once should set the adjustment. Do this on all the doors.
    In the shop, if I knew that the horn blowing was going to be a nuisance while working on a car, I would either disconnect it and watch for the flashing headlamps or stuff a rag into the horn(s) to mute it.
    Getting a factory service manual is a great convenience and will help down the road if you do your own work. It can answer many questions. Although the admission price may seem high, they can easily pay for themselves the first time used. Most shops have a basic $100 diagnostic fee (minimum charge) around here.
    Some large libraries may have a subscription to Alldata Online for service and repair information, usually taken from the (copyrighted) factory information. They are fairly accurate and you can photocopy what you need to take home with you.

12. Rick C

Rick C New Member

Dome light works like it should. Going to look at other stuff on this later today. Need to disconnect the horn so I don't get run out of the neighborhood. Thank you for all you help. I'll let you know what I find.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  13. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Just rechecked mine. With the alarm set, I opened the lock with the fob key. Silence. Red alarm light is still blinking. As soon as I opened the door the alarm went off. So it doesn't matter if you use the metal key, the fob key, or a Milwaukee drill, the alarm goes off only when the door is opened AND the alarm is set. If you look at the owners manual you'll find a lot of neat things you can do to customize the car to your liking. [EVIC I think.]

Something to consider: Do you thing your neighbors want to lynch you ONLY because of the horn blaring?

14. Rick C

Rick C New Member

Well maybe not ONLY!! So the alarm is not set when you use a key or door lock to lock the doors, it only sets with the fob?

15. Rick C

Rick C New Member

Just checked mine and it's just like you said. If you use the fob to lock you have to use the fob to unlock or the alarm goes off. If you manually lock the doors the alarm is not set so no problem. So I guess I have no problem -- just operator error.
    Until the next operator error thanks everyone for your help.

16. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Your alarm will also set if you use the rocker switch on the front of the drivers side door. The horn won't beep but the red alarm light will blink.

It's not an operator error, just a learning process.

17. mr2tim

mr2tim Member

Ya know I'm reading your discussions on the VTS talking with the OBD who is talking to the EMIC with the TIPM listening to the SKIM via VTA and the CAN w CNN reporting that I don't want to deal with this hopefully..