Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 PT Cruiser Ongoing Camshaft Sensor Issue

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by tjbomers, Nov 28, 2017.

1. tjbomers

tjbomers Member

Hey guys, I have been trying to figure out an ongoing camshaft sensor issue on my PT cruiser (2006, 90k miles, base engine, automatic trans). About a week ago my car lost all power and began surging, and threw me a P0340 code (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction). After checking the wiring harness for damage and checking that the sensor was getting voltage and grounding correctly, I ordered a new sensor and installed it. This seemed to fix the issue, until my car started to cough and stutter when shifting gears, and threw a P0016 (Crankshaft / Camshaft Timing Misalignment). I have spent a good amount of time trying to track down the issue, but have run out of ideas, and am stumped. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers!

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Make sure the receptacles in the electrical connector that mate to the cam shaft position sensor are clean and free of oil. Make sure the pins on the sensor make a good and tight connection with the adjoining receptacles in the electrical connector.

Make sure the cam sensor tone wheel attached to the end of the camshaft is NOT cracked. See image.

Cam Sensor Tone wheel 2_4 engine Y.gif

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

4. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

I replaced a camshaft position sensor and the car ran great for a bit until it through a code again and started to cough and buck. I replaced it with another sensor and it's been fine for quite a while. This may not be the case for you, but be sure not to ignore the simple possibilities. Apparently there are some quality issues with aftermarket cam position sensors.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I agree that you want an OEM sensor. Aftermarket sensors have had problems.

Gerry G and Doug D like this.
  6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I found this video on Y T which shows the symptoms and the methodical diagnosis of solving a similar problem on a PT Cruiser. In the end the technician uses a scope to graph the cam position sensor signal and that pinpoints the problem.It is a lengthy but thorough diagnosis. The correct pull down square wave form illustration starts at interval 38:00.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFowhaGNxNE