Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 PT Cruiser starts 1 second idle then dies

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by mrwade01, May 27, 2017.

1. pt006

pt006 Active Member

While I have never stepped on a kitten in the dark, it sounds like a sure fire way to save on cat food.

I don't believe in trickle chargers, unless they have a built in regulator to bring the charge rate to near zero as the battery becomes fully charged. The old Valiant battery died when I left the lights on. Charged it with jumper cables from a friend's car for about 5 minutes, and started it. The ammeter needle was pegged for maybe 30 minutes and then slowly came back down a while later. I love ammeters, as they tell you the amount of current going back into the battery --- less accessories. That's about 35 amps for a valiant.

For the PT, I'd clean the battery terminals and the wires attached to the terminals. And I'd clean and grease the 2 multi ground terminals on the left front inner fender. 5/16" hex I think.

2. mrwade01

mrwade01 New Member

Actually you might be surprised at how fast that kitten can get out from under foot! I agree with you on the charger thoughts. I was a rep for Exide for around 19 years and that's the main reason why polishing up the battery cables and all the ground contacts I could find was close to the first thing I tried(start with what ya know). Sadly, that is about the only thing I can completely rule out as the problem. I haven't checked the alternator output yet this morning but that's my next step. After sitting over night, the car still fired right up and seems to run fine but there is no way in heck I can trust it until I find the underlying problem.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Did you disconnect the cable at the alternator and clean up its surfaces?

mrwade01 likes this.
  4. mrwade01

mrwade01 New Member

LOL DAMN ! ! ! going to do that right now.

5. mrwade01

mrwade01 New Member

While trying to test the battery voltage during a start, I noticed something that I hadn't had the chance to hear before. When the car dies, there is the distinct sound of a relay click from the PCM. A second or so after the car dies, there is another click that re enables the car to start..... Does this info help at all?

6. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Verify where the click is coming from. The ASD relay is on the left corner of the firewall by the master cyl. The PCM is next to it. And the TIPM is behind the air cleaner box. I think the ASD relay and the one next to it are interchangeable. Check numbers?

7. pt006

pt006 Active Member

verify where the clicking sound is coming from. The ASD relay is on the left side of the firewall next to the master cyl. The PCM is next to it. The TIPM is behind the air cleaner box. The ASD relay and the one next to it may be the same. Check numbers.

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The relay clicks may be normal. They may be a symptom and not a cause of the stall.
    For some reason, the PCM may be commanding that relay 'off'. Find out which relay it is.
    After the engine stops turning and the crankshaft position sensor shows no engine motion, the ASD relay will turn off.

9. mrwade01

mrwade01 New Member

Hey Guys,
    Thanks again for all of the help and advice! I finally seem to have got the problem sorted out. After I took it to the dealer, they insisted that it as the fuel pump so I had it towed back home and changed it myself (200.00 bucks vs their 950.00 to 1200.00 projected cost) and it was no big surprise when that didn't help. After further reading up on it, it really looked like it might be the TIPM so I rolled the dice and spent 30 bucks on a unit out of an 08 at the local pick and pull. SO far I've put about a hundred miles on it and everything is working GREAT with no electrical issues or anything else.

djsamuel likes this.