AF: 2006 PT limited turbo tossed a P0344 code. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 PT limited turbo tossed a P0344 code.

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by PTproblems, May 21, 2020.

1. PTproblems

PTproblems New Member

The car is in Texas and I am not so I haven't had hands on yet.

I have a few questions:

I wondered if anyone had ever had intermittent codes from the sensor itself. To me that seems less likely than wiring or power issues but thought I would consult those in the know. Before I gather tools and head to Texas.

Also TSB# 18-015-09 isn't pertinent to this engine but did I miss one that included the turbo?

Since the car is 1000 miles away at the moment I was wondering if the Starscan can graph/see the crank and or the cam sensor outputs.

I know the Modis can just not sure about the Slowscan. LOL

Thanks in advance.

2. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Is this a car you're interested in buying, or are you trying to troubleshoot remotely for a friend or family member?

If you own the vehicle, are you the original owner or know anything about the service history of it?

Is the present cam sensor an OEM (MOPAR) or after-market part?

3. PTproblems

PTproblems New Member

It was my sisters car bought new and I bought it for my daughter. I would bet its the original cam sensor. If it ever got serviced it was at the dealer only. Car had a 126,000 when I got it. probably doesn't have 10k more on it now.

4. 06PTElectricBlue

Do you know if the timing belt replacement has been done, it's way overdue, and may have some bearing on the current issues.

5. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

P0344 indicates an intermittent signal / signal dropping out while the engine is running. Once the crankshaft has made 2 revolutions and the camshaft makes 1 revolution the PCM (powertrain control module) knows the relationship position between the crankshaft and camshaft. The PCM does NOT need the camshaft position signal to run the engine. But it still does check for the presence of the signal and will set a code if the signal is not present.

Diagnostic information for this code indicates to check the wiring along its entire path to the connector. Remove the connector and make sure there is no oil, dirt, grease, other corrosion between the mating pins and receptacles at the connector. In certain instances a failing or intermittent crankshaft sensor can fool the PCM into thinking that the camshaft position sensor and circuit have an issue. When checking wiring wiggle connectors and see if that makes a difference.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  6. PTproblems

PTproblems New Member

They say it was done around 88K miles.

7. 06PTElectricBlue

Good, at least that's one less thing you need to worry about.

You say most, if not all, of any service work was done at dealerships. Either you or your daughter should be able to go to any dealership and they should be able to pull up any dealership service history on the vehicle. That might be a good start to at least find out what has been done to it.

PTproblems likes this.
  8. PTproblems

PTproblems New Member

Is the 2.4 turbo an interference motor?

9. 06PTElectricBlue

Non-interference

PTproblems likes this.
  10. PTproblems

PTproblems New Member

So wiring or either sensor then.

11. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I believe the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder turbocharged engine is a dual overhead camshaft design. While a piston will not contact an open valve due to out of time issues, it is possible to have interference between the intake and exhaust valves.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  12. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If this has been going on since the belt change, it's possible that the belt has always been a tooth off. If the cam/crank relationship is drifting in and out of timing threshold (sync), it could throw an intermittent code.
    Checking the marks would be a first step if you have to begin disassembly.
    Use of a dental mirror and small straight edge helps to get a bulls-eye view of the cam marks, as you really can't get a head-on view of them without an angled mirror.
    [​IMG]