Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 PT Severe oil leakage

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by HEMI-Joe, Dec 17, 2017.

1. HEMI-Joe

HEMI-Joe Member

What the usual culprit causing severe oil leakage ?.
    After driving it, I park it, and a puddle developes almost immediately, the size of 12" round.

Oil filter tight, not leaking from oil pan or plug.

Most usual ?? Seems like coming from plastic timing cover at bottom, then covers the splash then the ground.

Crankshaft Position Sensor, Oil Pressure Sensor ??

Any help appreciated. Thanks, HEMI-Joe

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Oil seal has blown out, either at the crankshaft or camshaft. Timing belt will be soaked and need replacement, too.

peterjon1 likes this.
  3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I agree with Bob. The leak is on the wrong side of the engine to be the OPS. Unless you're a DIY mechanic, this is going to be an expensive repair. Timing belt jobs on the PT's around here run from about $1,000 to $1,500. I talked to a guy a couple of months ago that has a very nice customized PT that told me he just paid $1,500 to get his timing belt, water pump and center motor mount replaced. YIKES!

4. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

Well, my 2.4 Stratus died because of the oil seal. Caused by the thrust washer failing, allowing the crank to move back and forth. A lot. Don't be surprised if your engine is toast. I hope you have caught it in time to avoid that catastrophe.