AF: 2006 Town and Country ECM reset? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 Town and Country ECM reset?

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by thedriver, Apr 18, 2015.

1. thedriver

thedriver Active Member

I just replaced my purge valve, vent valve, and evap canister due to a bad purge valve filling them with raw fuel. With all that done the van still drives poorly. Can I reset my ECM without an OBD2 machine? I left the neg battery cable off a couple of hours, but that dint do the trick. I know the fuel curve needs to be reset, but again, can I do this at home?

Thanks!

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Raw fuel would make everything rich. A battery disconnect should reset the fault codes and fuel trim adaptives. Is there an issue with fouled spark plug tips?
    Have you driven the vehicle to burn off the carbon on the O2 sensors and start new adaptive values?
    A flooded canister may be from a fuel tank issue. How much fuel is in the tank?
    Do you have access to a scan tool that can read short-term and long-term 'fuel trim'? Positive trims are adding fuel and negative trims are taking fuel away.
    A battery disconnect should zeroize the PCM.

3. thedriver

thedriver Active Member

I drove about 10 miles, and it won't go above 3000 RPM. Just tries to stall out. Should I just let it run in the driveway for a while? I don't have a scan tool. The fuel is definitely from the purge valve by the pass headlamp. I had to empty all the hoses from there down to the canister, poured out about 8-10 ounces of gas.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Look at some spark plugs. Black, carbon-fouled plugs won't fire very well. Wire brush or sandblasting can clean them if they are recent.
    Avoid running it if it is misfiring as that can damage the cat and present a fire hazard.
    Is the tank pressurizing and forcing liquid fuel into the evaporative plumbing? Is there pressure when releasing the gas cap? Use due caution when working with flammables. We don't want a fire.

5. Varkguy

Varkguy Active Member

There is a shut off valve built into the fuel tank that keeps fuel from backing into the EVAP system. If it leaks you have to replace the tank or don't fill the tank when refueling.

6. thedriver

thedriver Active Member

Update: Everything fuel and vacuum related seems to be working correctly. I had a scan tool put on and it finds only one problem, code P171, but the o2 sensors are working correctly.History shows it has been running very rich, but that is fixed. Next up is a backpressure test to see if the cat has become clogged from all the problems.
    Current symptoms are: will not run above 3400 RPM, acts as if hitting rev limiter. Under light throttle position will accelerate to at least 70 MPH. If at any speed the pedal is floored power will cut out until pedal is released.

Weird, huh?

7. thedriver

thedriver Active Member

replaced pre cat o2 sensor, backpressure is fine, still cannot wide open throttle. I am running out of ideas. anybody?

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Have you looked at some plugs? If it was running rich, they may be fouled. Plug wires are 9 years old if they are still original.
    Did you mean fault code P0171? Be sure to use an OEM sensor.

9. thedriver

thedriver Active Member

plugs and wires are about 18 months old. pulled a plug to check it, looks light gray in color, not brown or black. does that say too lean to you? starting to suspect something wrong with fuel pressure...

10. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If the mixture is too rich or too lean due to fuel pressure, the O2 sensor will struggle to compensate for it. It would be important to verify the correct fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
    2006 may or may not have a pressure test port on the fuel rail and an in-line, quick-connect 'tee' adapter is needed for the fuel pressure gauge.

11. thedriver

thedriver Active Member

update: fuel pressure is supposed to be 35-45 psi, but mine is 18-20. so, off to work on my fuel pump...

12. thedriver

thedriver Active Member

dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump module. took about three hours. all is now good. :)

13. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter