AF: 2007 Dakota possible replacement for my '92 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2007 Dakota possible replacement for my '92

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by Bob Lincoln, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My 1992 Dakota has another punky spot on the frame (have had new sections fabbed and welded in in 2013 and 2016). It may or may not be worth saving. I've decided not to spend more than $1,000, or fix it if it has other soft spots. The original gas lines are being replaced this month, regardless, as they have been patched, and I already paid for the parts 2 years ago.

A co-worker is selling his 2007 Dakota club cab that he bought used. It's a V-6- auto 2WD, silver, with 195K miles. Never a problem with the drivetrain; reportedly no chassis rust, and only a spot or two on the body. Has 4 new tires, new muffler which may need to be secured better, has a probable exhaust manifold leak. Rear shackles have been replaced, and rear suspension squeaks noticeably. Everything works, including A/C. Brakes are fairly new, were good 2 months ago, but now pedal is soft or squishy since being parked. Most brake lines have already been replaced in the last few years.

He's asking $900, but will sell it to me for $500, which is what he hoped to get if he scraps it. He doesn't want to sell it to someone who doesn't understand that a 13-yr old truck will likely need moderate work in the near future, so he has held off selling it to people who are not mechanically inclined. He is trustworthy and I've known him for 19 years.

Opinions on the 2007? Experience? Thanks.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The 3.7 V6 and 4.7 V8 are a similar design. The can feel weaker than the engines they replaced (3.9 and 5.2). If it’s been well maintained the engines last, though they can sludge up if not. I think the heads and timing chains are the weakest points. What I’ve seen is the body may rust but the frame seems good on these.

Personally it seems like a good deal to me.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  3. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

It's larger and heavier than the '92, so gas mileage probably won't be as good, but for only $500, and with the work done to it, I'd have bought it already. You might keep driving the '92 while you make the necessary repairs and replacements to the '07.

4. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Can't take on that kind of project now. My 84 Daytona Turbo Z has been sitting on ramps in my garage for over 27 months now, awaiting a head gasket and turbo line repair. Just can't find the time. And can't fit a 5th vehicle in the driveway, especially in winter, because there are parking bans in snowstorms.

5. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

After reading this thread I am glad I live in Texas lol

6. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Where your dashboard cracks into dozens of pieces, and the sun bleaches out the interior, and bakes the paint off? :)

7. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Not so much if the vehicle stored in a garage. Full-sized Dodge truck dashboard cracks happen in northern climates too, if my visits to the Detroit-area junkyards are any indication.

Roads aren't salted here, so rust is less of a concern.

Are snowstorm parking bans enforced outside of the Boston area? From what I've seen, there don't seem to be any street parking bans for snow in the Detroit area. But it's a good idea to park elsewhere anyway, if you don't want the extra shoveling that a snow plow will cause.

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Yes, there are parking bans during snowstorms.
    My brother owned the truck new, and it cracked in FL within the first 12 years, probably early on. Then nothing in the 16 years since up North, though it's parked outside 100% of the time, in the sun.
    You really have to have a car more than 20+ years here to crack the dashboard. Even then, it's very rare.

9. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

When I bought the '92 Dakota here (central Texas), its dash panel was entirely intact, and remained so while I owned it. I was the fourth owner; according to some documents in the glove box, the first owner lived in the street behind me, When I walked over to ask about it, I found that he since died, but the house does have a garage. The second owner, or at least the house where the second owner lived, has no garage, and the third owner used it as a ranch truck. Yes, the paint had baked from the roof and the hood, but the dash panel lasted a lot longer than those on subsequent 2-gen Ram models, one of which I currently own, and which was cracked and partially broken when I bought it, despite the paint not being baked at all. Earlier this week, I waxed the roof after washing the truck. Maybe not necessary with the clear-coat, but it sure shines nice.

Regarding your OP, have you decided whether to buy the truck? If you decided against, someone else who reads and posts to these forums might be interested, and adept enough at repairs and maintenance to keep it running.

10. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

My mechanic friend promised to get my truck on a lift by this weekend to examine it, but I think he's straight out, haven't heard from him. I can't decide on a course of action without knowing if my truck is viable. But the co-worker selling his has told me that if I don't buy it, he will probably scrap it and get about the same money. Which gives me concern as to the true condition of his truck. And from conversations we've had, I'm not confident in the quality of repairs that he's done to the truck in the past. It could be just exchanging one set of problems for another.