Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2007 pt cruiser won't start in cold weather not even with a jump batt. checks out good

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Rob Z, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Rob Z

Rob Z Member

2007 pt cruiser won't start in very cold weather not even with a jump . batt. and charging system check out ok. When put in a heated garage it will start after a while. This happens at around 0 deg.far. with low wind chills. 10 deg. and above it will start.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Does it crank (ie: engine turns over but doesn't catch or fire) or there is nothing?

If not cranking, check and clean the battery terminals (visual usually doesn't reveal anything - you have to clean the connections with a wire brush). I had occasional no starts with my Journey - found the battery terminals had a light film on them - cleaned them and haven't had any issues since.

If you have a multi-meter, the battery should read ~12.5 volts with the engine off and ~14.4 volts with the engine running. Anything under 11.5 volts and it won't have enough voltage to crank the engine.

If those check out okay, then I'd have the battery/charging system checked. AutoZone and Advance Auto will do this for no charge (if you can get the vehicle to them).

pt006 likes this.
  3. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

When was the last time the spark plugs and wires were changed?

Note there was a TSB issued that called for a different plug and gap due to cold weather issues. TSB 08-008-04 noted a new Champion spark plug specification, RE16MC, and a new gap, 0.040 inches (replacing the prior plug REMCC5 and prior gap of 0.050 inches).

Hope this helps,

Gerry G.

pt006 likes this.
  4. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Same happened on my Jeep Commander and the battery was only a year old. Turned out there was a bad cell in the battery and I was able to get it replaced under warranty. The battery failed a load test right away when I brought it in.

A jump battery wouldn't start it either, when I hooked up a 2nd jump battery it just barely was enough to start it. Once it got started in the morning and the battery warmed up enough, it would push enough juice to start the car the rest of the day, several times, but as soon as the battery cold soaked overnight in 10°F temps, it would power accessories, but NOT even crank the motor, even one jump battery could NOT get it started.

You can get by for years on a battery with just one bad cell, as soon as temps drop to extreme lows, that bad cell will drag down the whole battery so bad and even the jump battery as well, the car won't start. Any place that sells battery's can do a load test, so have it load tested and that will tell you for sure.

5. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Rob; When the temp is below 20 F : I listen for the fuel pump to stop [a few sec], then I push the gas pedal down about 1/4 of the way down, then turn the key. Fires right up.

Also, a larger battery size 58R will fit in a 2006 PT [without a turbo]. The only mod is to cut the backside of the insulation blanket vertically, [away from the engine heat]. And tape/tie together.

6. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

All good suggestions on where to start first looking and testing. If the battery and terminal test are ok, I would replace the starter as I have seen many a car brand starter while leaving in the northeast winters, freeze up (bind up) when extremely cold. Can you wack the starter with a brass or phenolic hammer next time it binds?

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I'm still waiting for more clarification from the OP.
    'Won't start when cold' is too vague.
    Is the starter not cranking the engine over when cold?
    Does it just 'click' or is there nothing? If the headlamps are on, do they dim when attempting to start?
    Or is it cranking the engine over OK, but just not firing when cold?
    It's not easy to suggest possible answers when I need more information on the question.

AC TC and floridaman2013 like this.