AF: 2008 Chrysler 300 One low beam Headlight out | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 Chrysler 300 One low beam Headlight out

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by rampage, Sep 15, 2020 at 3:02 AM.

1. rampage

rampage Active Member

She went to the dealer for inspection and to get a new bulb, passenger side. They told her the bulb was fine and that she needed a new headlight assembly, over $1000. I'm thinking maybe a bad ground or a bad connection someplace. Just don't seem right.

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

3. rampage

rampage Active Member

I know, that's what I mean. On the proposed work sheet it has over $1000 for a headlight assembly. I'm going down today and look at it today.

4. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

'06 Charger had the left high beam out. Local shop traced the problem to be the ground wire from the bulb to the chassis ground. Only took them just over 1/2 hour to find and fix. IIRC, the problem was the splice before the ground screw; can't recall for certain.

I personally can't figure out what the plastic headlamp assembly has to with the low beam bulb other than to hold it in place. The wiring to the bulb is completely separate from the assembly.

5. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

One question, does that car have individual headlight low and high beam fuses?

6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

On this era Chrysler product the TIPM (totally integrated power module) provides the power feed to the headlamp assembly. If it detects a short to power or ground then it will disable the circuit until a remedy is made. There would be no separate fuse for power feed to the headlamps.

Are the headlamp assemblies HID? That might make a difference in diagnosis.

Attached schematic shows wiring for a 2008 - 09 minivan. Hopefully wiring conventions are the same for a Chrysler 300 model. Check power and ground.

Headlamp Wiring Passenger Side.gif

7. rampage

rampage Active Member

I didn't take the bulb out but it looks like a HID bulb. Square metal back with a couple spring retainers. This is a gray area for me. I hesitate doing anything on this car. I looked on YouTube for some tips but nothing solid. That quote for a headlamp assembly kills me tho. Some years ago she was in an accident and the body shop used an aftermarket headlamp assembly. The dealer told her that aftermarket piece was the problem Sounds like BS to me but what do I know.

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Aftermarket HID replacement is $350 compared to the $99 linked above.
    The MSRP from Chrysler is $1300 for the HID assembly. Aftermarket parts may or may not be equal in quality to OEM.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  9. KOG

KOG KOG

You can get OEM grade bulbs from Amazon. And it should be the bulb. Headlight housing/reflector has nothing to do with the bulb working.

HIDs nay be unpredictable, Replaced one on the 09 at 100K when it went all pink and died. Other one is still fine at 175K.

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Beyond the bulb, there is a ballast for the HID light. It’s not cheap. I have no idea if they included a replacement ballast in your estimate or not.

11. rampage

rampage Active Member

Well they replaced the whole assembly which included all new lights and the ballast fastened on the underside, complete assembly I guess you could say. She brought the old one home. All the lights are in it with cut wires. I believe they charged her around $850 for that. I haven't seen the car yet, she's shopping. expensive headlight bros.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

They are expensive, but HID headlights are nice.

13. rampage

rampage Active Member

This was a learning experience for me. I'm use to paying $13 at Wal Marts for bulbs which do the job. This is my Step Mothers car and I don't recall ever driving it at night.

14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

And I thought the headlight assemblies for my 2006 Ram 1500 were pricey at $120/pair (and I can R&R them myself).

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  15. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Same with my '06 PT Cruiser :cool:

16. rampage

rampage Active Member

I looked at her car just now. They put in a used assembly. Hey, it works. I don't have a problem with that but I'm not telling her that.