Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 Cruiser No electricity at all

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by LarryBGood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. LarryBGood

LarryBGood Member

So last night i drove to work, car ran fine. stopped for a soda and when i returned to my car there was no electricity. No dome light, no console lights, no ignition, nothing. Tried to get a jump but even that gave no lights in car. checked battery and it has good charge, no corrosion and new clamps on cables. Checked all my fuses and none blown. Even tried to follow cables from battery to starter but my bear paws are to big. Please give me some advice as i cant afford to put it in the shop.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. The positive battery cable will need to be traced from the (+) battery post to the Distribution box (TIPM). The negative battery cable must have a good connection from both the engine/transaxle and body back to the (-) battery post. Something appears to have opened completely. A gentle wiggle on components or wiring may cause a reaction if an open connection is present?
    A 12 volt test light would be a better choice for testing than using a digital voltmeter as you want to put a certain 'load' on the circuit. A digital multimeter may still read 12 volts even through a megohm of resistance that wouldn't light a test light.

pt006 likes this.
  3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

There's a spot on the driver side fender where you have 3 ground connections. You might want to check these too. It's easier to do if you remove the air box and battery.

pt006 likes this.
  4. mr2tim

mr2tim Member

I'm beginning to think that if you can't afford to repair your PT maybe this car isn't for you. I see lots of the owners are DIY mechanics and the cost of repairs is often the cost of parts. It wasn't till my 01 started to have parts quit that I realized how driver unfriendly these diagnostics were, not to mention access to the front of this engine :eek: