AF: Caliber - 2008 Dodge Caliber No More | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caliber 2008 Dodge Caliber No More

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by Doug D, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

My daughter's 2008 Caliber (base) is no more. Traveling back from Martinsville after visiting her brother (at college) she hit a patch of black ice, lost control, spun, hit the median and flipped. Fortunately the car landed upright and no one was seriously hurt. Her daughter was shaken up but no major injuries. Boyfriend may have a broken thumb. This happened as "Dion" moved through the state today dropping sleet and apparently freezing rain. The accident happened about 15 miles east of Charlottesville on I-64. From those that stopped to help there were several other accidents that happened within minutes of her incident.

She was about 2 hours from home when it happened. The rescue squad ended up transporting them to the hospital in Charlottesville. Since her boyfriend had his dog with them, he ended up staying with the vehicle since the rescue squad and fire dept couldn't (or wouldn't) let them take the dog with them. We arrived at the accident scene before his parents, collected him, the dog and all their personal items and headed to the hospital. Arrived home about an hour ago.

Say what you want about Calibers, but this one kept my daughter, her boyfriend and my granddaughter safe. They literally walked away unscathed from the car after it flipped. All had their seatbelts on.

As far as we know, law enforcement never showed up at the scene nor did they check in at the hospital. We did not see the car on the way home so it must have been towed.

Here's the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My daughter has contacted the state patrol to find out where her car is since we did not see it on the way home. They towed it due to "abandonment" and are puzzled no officer showed up. They accident happened around 1 pm. We arrived around 3:30-4 pm. In that time the only units that showed up were the Fire dept and EMS. No sheriff or state patrol ever showed from the time of the accident and when we arrived. Her boyfriend was at the accident scene that entire time. What are they suppose to do? Stay there until law enforcement shows up? Not when you have a badly shaken up 5 year old who might have unknown injuries.

YEs, I know the road conditions were getting bad and there were several accidents, but really (??), no one could bother to show up???? So much for the reliable state patrol........

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Sorry for the loss but thankful everyone was OK, save for the thumb. Hard to say how many accidents were happening that slowed the State Patrol down, or, possibly, given there was no multiple vehicles involved within the accident, the EMT or others reported no rush was required to show up.

3. Doug D

I have to say I was truly surprised no law enforcement (local or state) arrived at the scene. They are usually pretty good about answering emergency calls whether they be single or multi car incidents.

Anyway, as you say, no was hurt, just shaken a little.

Just glad the Caliber did it's job and kept everyone safe. Life is precious. Vehicles can be replaced. People can not.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Public safety is being overwhelmed by the storm and accident responses as the storm moves North-East. We are under a winter weather advisory. The police scanner goes nuts at times like this.
    I'm sorry about the loss of the Caliber, but glad that everyone walked from it. The car and paperwork will show up.
    I have my mom's '07 Caliber as she no longer drives. It is 600 lbs heavier than the Neon I used to drive and has 7 airbags. It is a robust structure.
    Chuzz and his son walked from their Caliber after a severe head-on and that is also a testament to the safety of this vehicle.
    It's too bad that the Caliber didn't do better. It is not a great car, but it has been (overall) a good car.

5. Doug D

Thanks IC. My daughter contacted the state patrol and found the vehicle had been towed to a shop in Charlottesville. The insurance company (Liberty Mutual) said it was probably towed due to safety concerns (close to the travel lanes). They'll be making arrangements to have it relocated to one of their lots. Said it may take a few days before an adjuster can take a look at it. They were getting many calls.

What disturbed me the most was the attitude of the state patrol. According to my daughter they were rude and came across as not giving a care. As though it was bother to provide any information.

I am grateful for the few motorists who stopped to provide assistance. One was an Army medic who just happened to be going by. He provided some assistance until fire and EMS units arrived.

When my daughter first called, I could tell by the quiver in her voice there was something wrong.

She always had a thing clipped to her visor that read, " Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly." I firmly believe an angel was with them.

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I hope she has as good luck with Liberty Mutual as I did when my truck was totaled.
    Glad everyone is basically OK and all injuries were minor.

7. Doug D

Yeah, we'll see how this goes. When I had LM we never needed to file a claim. So far so good. She has car rental coverage so she should be getting a rental today. From what she told me they will have a rental from Enterprise today. There is a local Enterprise about 1 mile from her apartment.

Looking forward, her boyfriend's uncle owns or runs a car dealership in PA so hopefully she can get a good deal on a quality safe car. Nothing against the Caliber but she's interested in a Nissan Maxima. Prior to the Caliber and Sebring she had a Sentra she really liked. Unfortunately it was totaled in an accident (not her fault).

8. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

I would check the National Insurance Institute web site for accident rating. Last I heard that the Maxima's were pretty bad, especially in rear end collisions. i always use their rating guide on selecting a new vehicle.

9. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear bout the demise of her Caliber, Doug, but am very happy to hear that she, your grand daughter and the boyfriend all came out okay. I can definitely testify to the safety features working on the Caliber. If my son's job holds out, I'm trying to talk him into one. He wants a Smart car. Says it has five star crash rating and is much more economical than the Caliber. Liberty Mutual is a good insurance company. That's who I have. Make sure to help her research a replacement, Doug. As mentioned, Nissans don't seem to do very well in crashes.

10. Doug D

Guess what kind of car her boyfriend has?

Yep - a Smart car.....

I would still be with LM if they hadn't increased my premiums by 25%. Back with Geico now.

11. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Not to give the police any excuse, but from all the reports I was reading yesterday there were a LOT of accidents all over the eastern US and police resources were stretched pretty thin.

North of me in Wisconsin, police responded to over 50 accidents in a 5-mile stretch of I-84 between Chicago and Milwaukee.

12. Doug D

My daughter now has a 2013 Honda Civic from Enterprise until she can locate a permanent set of wheels. I haven't seen it, but my wife tells me it's very nice. My daughter is really feeling the after effects of the accident. She's really sore around her neck and shoulders.

My 5 year old granddaughter is totally fine - bouncing off the walls like normal.

This was our conversion in the ER:

"Pa Pa, Mommy wrecked the car and we flipped."

"Do you want to do it again?"

"NO!!!"

13. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Well, that's to be expected, Doug. Tell her to just be thankful she's not 55 years old like I was! I felt the effects for a couple of months.

14. Doug D

Update.

Things kind of took a turn for the worse. My daughter started experiencing severe pain/numbness along with bruises in her left leg Monday evening. She's been diagnosed with severe scatia damage. For the moment she's not working through Sunday and probably all of next week. She's getting around on crutches but both my wife, her boyfriend and I have been staying with her to help out. The pain is slowly subsiding.

No word on the Caliber yet - she just signed the power of attorney so the insurance company can legally handle the car and authorized the shop to release the car to LM.

I rode in the '13 Civic she has as a rental. Very nice, though I did note the cockpit is somewhat claustrophobic compared to our Journey or my Ram. It has a camera that shows the area immediately behind the vehicle when in reverse. Standard feature on all Honda's as I understand it. I was easily comfortable even though it is a small vehicle. Need to sit in a Dart to compare. Trunk was fairly deep for a small vehicle.

Oh and one more thing - apparently another grandchild is on the way......... :D

15. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that she's having complications, Doug. Hopefully, it won't take too long for her to recover. And congratulations on becoming a grandpa again!

16. MickM

MickM Active Member

I am glad the Caliber did its job, and everyone got to walk away. Congrats on the new grandbaby.
    Mick

17. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Hey Doug, I was just wondering how your daughter is doing? I hope all is well and she's getting back to normal.

18. Doug D

Not good. The scatia was an incorrect diagnosis. The pain had not really subsided at all so my wife took her to Patient First who diagnosed her pain as a blood clot in her leg which was confirmed by an ultrasound at the nearby hospital. Ended up being admitted late Saturday night and was released on Monday. She is now on blood thinners (two shots a day - self administered). Just 3-4 days supply was outrageously expensive - $350. Since she is on medical leave and now has no income, the local social worker pulled some strings and she is now on Medicaid. She refilled her prescription on Thursday and only had to pay $3 for a month's supply. Without Medicaid the bill would have been $3,000. She ended up missing her daughter's dance recital - she was a little mouse in "The Nutcracker" though the instructor is going to get her a DVD (professionally recorded).

Her leg is still swollen but isn't as cold (clot is slowly being dissolved). She's now able to sit up without a lot of pain. Still on crutches though. Can only stand for short periods of time She's on blood thinners for the remainder of her pregnancy and as such it is considered a high risk pregnancy. Working on getting her on WIC and eventually welfare. Once the rental is gone, she'll be without a vehicle until she can get back to work. Her boyfriend is checking with his Dad to see if he can spare a vehicle (he has several). So far we (mainly my wife and I and her boyfriend) are helping her out at the apartment. She has to talk to the apt manager to let her know the latest developments and hopefully work on getting the rent reduced. The rent is based on the ability to pay.

We just managed to get the paperwork and car keys sent to Liberty Mutual. No word on whether it's a total loss or not.

A good friend of mine and his wife have helped out by providing some cash and gift cards. I'll never be able to repay them. They have truly been angels. His wife even visited my daughter while she was in the hospital (she works nearby) even though they had never actually met.

It won't be a great Christmas, but I'm just happy she is alive.

19. MickM

MickM Active Member

Doug stay positive. It'll be a perfect Christmas because you daughter and grandbaby will be there. Good luck
    Mick

20. Doug D

Update on the car. Daughter just called. The Caliber was valued at a little over $9K (USD) and is a total loss. She owed ~$6200 so she'll be getting about $2800 or so. The medical $$ is still pending I guess. That was handled by a different dept.