AF: Caliber - 2008 Dodge Caliber No More | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caliber 2008 Dodge Caliber No More

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by Doug D, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

At least that's one monkey off her back. As you stated; vehicles can be replaced............

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

We cooked her dinner this evening. She's definitely feeling better - swelling is going down and she's able to get around a little bit better. She can sit up with no pain. Hopefully she can get back to work in a reasonable amount of time - even if it's only part time.

Might be a while before she's able to get a replacement vehicle. One step at a time.

3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear she's having such a rough time, Doug. But at least she's got some good people helping her out. I know she can't replace the Caliber for that paltry sum of money, but the main thing is that she's going to be okay. I wish I were in a position to help, but being on disability and supporting a family of four on that, I barely get by nowadays. My son lost his new job because someone he was working with had the flu and he got it. He missed two days work and had a doctors note to return, but the employer said it didn't matter. He was under a 90 day probationary period, so they let him go. So, we're back to my sole income while he tries to find another job.

4. Doug D

Chuzz - sorry to hear about the job loss for your son. Sucks when they do that. I know it's legal - I had a management class way back when. But it certainly is unethical.

We spent the day Christmas shopping with our daughter. Fortunately at the mall we were able to get a complimentary wheel chair for her. It made life a lot easier. There's no way she would have made it just on crutches. She is slowly getting better, albeit slowly.

Spotted a new Cherokee "in the wild"(sorry no pics - my phone was dying). Daughter was not impressed - did not like the front fascia. Wife was like, "meh". She'd much prefer a Grand Cherokee.

Sorry if I seemed down in the dumps earlier, it's just been a tough year.

But I'm starting to feel better. Things are coming around. I know God is at work - just trying to figure out what he wants me to do.

Merry Christmas!

5. Doug D

Update:

My daughter has made significant progress in the past few days. The swelling has gone down significantly in the past few days. She could actually wear shoes on both feet. She's able to walk on a limited basis without crutches and when she does need crutches she only needs one. The doctors don't want her returning to work until after the new year. She's been able to drive without any major issues. The rental has to be turned in Friday.

Not sure but I think her boyfriend is working on getting a vehicle from his Dad for her to use temporarily until she can purchase her own replacement. Nothing against Chrysler, but she's real interested in a lightly used Civic. She had been leaning towards Nissan's but I am not so sure about their overall safety rating.

It has been a good Christmas. All four of my children and grand-daughter were with us at last night's Christmas Eve service. All I can say is, "God is Good."

Merry Christmas to all!

6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Glad to here the good news, Doug. I agree with you about steering her away from Nissan. Their safety ratings are not as good as Honda. If she's gonna go import, I can recommend Hyundai, but only from a mechanical point and not safety. I love the new Elantra and Sonata. And a Merry Christmas to all here on Allpar and their families.

7. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Wow, crazy to read the background story here.

Glad that she is improving and hopefully will make a full recovery!

8. Doug D

Looks like she's well on her way to recovery. The doctors have more or less cleared her to return to work next week.

Now she just has to work on securing a replacement vehicle. That said, she really liked the '13 Civic she had as a rental. The rental agent indicated they would be more than willing to sell it (or any other vehicle they have) to her. I advised her to not rush into any purchase and don't get locked into any particular vehicle. Just a side note - her first car was a hand-me-down from her grandmother - an '89 Civic that had over 300K on it.

9. Doug D

Update:
    She's finally settled on a replacement vehicle. Sadly, it's not a MoPar though. Her boyfriend's uncle runs a dealership near State College, PA and he managed to find a 2012 Hyundai Sonata with only 38K miles for a good price and payments. She just finished faxing some paperwork to them and the vehicle should be delivered tonight sometime. How do you like that? Service to your door! :thumbsup: All I know is it is red. I'll post pics when I get a chance.
    She's doing very well physically. Doctor's cleared her to return to work beginning in the new year.

10. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Don't knock the Sonata, Doug. It's a very good and reliable car. I would have gotten one instead of my 200, but just couldn't get a deal and the payments where I need to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my 200 and I did get the Limited Lifetime Powertrain Warranty with it and Hyundai doesn't have anything like that at all.

11. Doug D

Not knocking it, just wouldn't have been my choice. Car was delivered as promised. Yes, they drove it down from central PA - about a 6 hour drive. She just brought it by, but it was too dark to take pics. Maybe tomorrow. It's a burgundy red with a tan interior. She really likes it. It has more features than her Caliber, but her Caliber was a base model. It does have blue tooth and looks to be a little more spacious. All in all, not a bad car for the money. I know she got an extended warranty - up to 100K miles, I think.

12. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Glad to hear that things are looking up!

13. John Wood

John Wood Allpar Legacy

Doug, I've been catching up on some older posts (been mostly off the board until about 2 weeks ago). Very sorry to hear about your daughter and family accident. I hope all is going well with her recovery, and hope 2014 will be a much better year!!!

14. Doug D

Thanks John. Things are going much better than I expected. My daughter was able to return to work on New Years Day. She is still on blood thinners. Still a little tight financially, but she's managing. As I indicated a few posts back she now has a 2012 Hyundai Sonata (only 38K miles). It was delivered to her door on New Years Eve. Fortunately she is on Medicaid now so future medical bills are essentially covered. Still dealing with the aftermath of her hospitalization - $7K+ bill - she wasn't on Medicaid at the time.

Did I mention I'll be a grandfather again? She's 5 months along - not sure of the due date - mid-June I think.

15. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Good to hear your daughter is doing better, Doug. And congrats on being a Grandpa again!