Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009 JOURNEY 3.5 CODES P0205 P0305 VACUUM LEAK WHEN WARM

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by AVANTI661, Dec 17, 2017.

1. AVANTI661

AVANTI661 New Member

2009 JOURNEY 3.5 CODES P0205 P0305 HAS VACUUM LEAK AROUND WHERE UPPER INTAKE BOLTS TO LOWER INTAKE. REPLACED UPPER GASKET, BUT STILL HAS LEAK. IS THERE ANY PROBLEMS WITH TH UPPER INTAKE? THANKS

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. I believe that the upper intake manifold has to come off to replace spark plugs. Perhaps this service has been done recently?
    I use a spray bottle of water to listen for changes in idle when squirting around intake seams and hoses. Can you hear the # 5 cylinder misfire (P0305) at idle? Listen for it to change and note the area that you squirted.
    Did you replace the gasket with a rubber OEM part? The fel-pro paper gaskets don't seal as well as the soft rubber. Make sure that all the bolts are in place and torqued, particularly at the rear of the engine where the # 5 and # 6 cylinder runners.
    P0205 is a # 5 fuel injector electrical fault. Could the injector wiring be pinched between the upper and lower intake manifolds also causing a vacuum leak?
    Plastic manifolds can crack, but I would want to verify that first.

3. AVANTI661

AVANTI661 New Member

REPLACED THE UPPER MANIFOLD GASKET WITH MOPAR PART, STILL HAS VACUUM LEAK WHEN ENGINE GETS HOT. CHECKED UPPER MANIFOLD, NO CRACK FOUND. COULD IT BE THE LOWER MANIFOLD GASKET? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It's possible. Diagnose and locate the leak source first if you can.
    The P0205 may not be due to a vacuum leak while the P0305 can be.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Since the P0205 (# 5 injector circuit) can cause both a lean condition and misfire in the # 5 cylinder (P0305), I would try to solve for P0205 first.
    Have you confirmed a vacuum leak is present? Or is it just a lean mixture?
    Usually an intake manifold vacuum leak will raise idle speed the same as slightly opening the throttle (more air).