AF: 2009 Journey trans getting goofy | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009 Journey trans getting goofy

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by e_bodydude, May 6, 2020.

1. e_bodydude

e_bodydude Active Member

Hello all. I hope you are all well and
    staying safe. I hope someone can help me with this transmission issue in our V6 Journey. It has 140,000 mi on it and has had fluid and filter changed about three times in its lifetime. Recently it started shifting late into second gear sometimes when it has been driven for a while. When the engine is shut down and restarted, the trans returns to shifting normal. We brought the car in to the dealer for a filter and fluid change ( not flush) last week. It has done the late shift from 1st to 2nd gear thing two times since that service.
    Today, while on an hour trip out of town, my wife punched it to pass a slower vehicle. The engine lost most of its power, made a wierd sick sounding low roaring sound (which even continued even after she put shifted into neutral) and coasted to the shoulder of the hiway. As we were comming to a stop, the engine sound normalized. She shut down the engine, restarted it and the trans worked fine the rest of the trip without a problem.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Late shifts may also be from a loss of engine power and not actually a transaxle problem. If the roar noise sounded like exhaust, get the catalytic converter checked for blockage.
    If the ceramic element inside is broken up, it can 'rattle' if the cat is thumped with a rubber mallet. Blockage can also be intermittent if the bits are floating around inside.

bguy likes this.
  3. e_bodydude

e_bodydude Active Member

Thanks for the response, ImperialCrown. I set the Journey on jackstands, got under the engine with a rubber mallet and hit the pipe under the catalytic converter (no clearance to swing a hammer direct at the catalytics). Didn't hear any loose chunks of substrate rattling around. We haven't heard the roaring noise or had any loss of power since. Also, no trouble codes thrown. Would you advise checking pressure at the oxygen sensor locations?

4. e_bodydude

e_bodydude Active Member

Good evening ImperialCrown. Yesterday the Journey made the roaring noise again with no loss of power. Next, the battery light came on just before my wife reached her destination (I was at work). The engine stalled as she pulled into the driveway.
    My question is, could this have been related to the prior incident we had on the highway when the car seemed to be stuck in passing gear?

5. e_bodydude

e_bodydude Active Member

I diagnosed the latest incident as being a faulty alternator (which I had tested at Autozone). After replacing the alternator the Journey is back to running fine again.

ImperialCrown likes this.