Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 3.5 Liter Timing marks

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by Mike Linden, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Mike Linden

Mike Linden New Member

I recently did a timing belt/water pump replacement on my wife's 2010 Challenger. When I got the covers off and attempted to align the timing marks before removing the old belt I noticed the Cam timing marks were about 3 teeth ahead of the Crank timing mark.
    I have scoured forums and google, but haven't come across any info about why this is. The old belt was in good shape (100,000 miles), no teeth missing, the car was running fine, I just knew the belt was due to be changed.
    I've attached some photos. Has anyone seen or heard of this?
    I'm not sure where to align the timing marks now. My first inclination is to align them to the marks on the cover, but knowing they were advanced and the engine ran fine, with no trouble codes, should I line them up the way the old belt (original factory installed) was.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. You've owned this car since new?
    Both camshaft index marks were 3 teeth ahead or was it just on one of the cams?
    I would replace the tensioner and idler if there is any doubts.
    I would set the marks to where they are shown in the service procedure, roll the crankshaft over 2 turns and recheck mark positions.
    This is an interference engine, so it is important to get it right the first time.

3. Mike Linden

Mike Linden New Member

We bought the car with about 25,000 miles on it. It doesn't look like anyone had been into the motor, the belt was original. I had run a carfax on it when we bought and saw some routine maintenance, oil changes... but that was it.
    Both cams were ahead of the crank, and in time with each other.
    I am replacing everything, belt, tensioner, idler as well as the water pump.
    I just can't figure out how or why the cams were so far ahead of the crankshaft, and why it was running fine like that.