AF: 2010 Dodge Journey has Cooling Fan Issues...need help | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 Dodge Journey has Cooling Fan Issues...need help

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by pr_mpenn, Jul 30, 2018.

1. pr_mpenn

pr_mpenn New Member

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey and have been intermittently having issues with my cooling fan staying on even when the car is turned off. I have located the fuse box and figured out if I pull the J19 Fuse the fan will go off. This is only a temporary fix, when it is plugged back in the fan will run (no matter what). I am trying to figure out if there is something else that could be bad or if the relay/resistor needs to be replaced. I am not a wiring guru but know enough to get me by, I went by oreilly's yesterday and asked about the Engine Cooling Fan Lo Relay. They didn't carry it in stock but found another relay that had the same numbers/circuit wiring and told us to try it out. Well that didn't fix it so pulled it back out to make sure it didn't damage anything. We have located the resistor under the hood and also found out they don't carry it in stock either (at least not by itself, they want you to replace the entire cooling fan assembly).

Note: The car is not running hot and when the fuse (referenced above) is replaced the fan still runs. Just need a little more experienced help. Thanks in advance.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. This likely has a solid state control relay. It may be shorted. Probably not the resistor.
    The fan control may be part of the radiator fan assembly and is usually serviced that way. Always diagnose first. Any cooling fan fault codes?
    I'm not able to get to any Journey wiring information at this time, but will look later. It may be similar to the minivans.

3. pr_mpenn

pr_mpenn New Member

No check engine codes are being thrown. Light hasn't been on since I had the alternator replaced last year at the dealership. Car does not run any different just the fan stays on. I have located a few different relays that could be the issue just need a little more experience narrowing down which one is probably the issue.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Attached are images of the radiator fan wiring with the TIPM (totally integrated power module) and contains fuses and relays and owner manual information about location of fuses and relays.

Radiator TIPM Fan Wiring.gif Fuse Box 01.gif

I can see that if the radiator fan relay contacts were stuck closed (due to pitting or corrosion) and NOT opening the radiator fan would run continuously. Swap this relay with another in the fuse box (note which is the target relay used for the swap) and see if that resolves the issue. Also check fuse M34. Report your findings.

valiant67 and ImperialCrown like this.
  5. pr_mpenn

pr_mpenn New Member

Thank you for your help. I have switched the relays and no luck. The M34 fuse was burnt on the prongs but filament still intact. The only thing that seems to turn off the rad fan is pulling the J19 60Amp fuse. Prior to posting this thread we have pulled the resistor out to check for damage (only problem here is that we don't know what signs of damage are for this part).

6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Locate the radiator fan resistor on the fan shroud. See attached images. With fuse J19 60 amp inserted and fan running, separate the electrical connector from the resistor. Inspect the female receptacle parts of the connector and make sure they are not shorted together. Does the radiator fan stop running?

Radiator Fan Resistor.gif Radiator Fan Resistor Connector.gif

7. pr_mpenn

pr_mpenn New Member

This may sound ignorant but how will we be able to tell if it is "shorted together"?

8. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Visual inspection. Space between metal receptacles in connector. No electrical continuity between them.

Radiator Fan Resistor Connector.gif

9. pr_mpenn

pr_mpenn New Member

Ok we will check it out first thing in the morning. We tried to get the connector off this evening but I was being stubborn. I will let you know and take pictures if we have questions. Thank you.

10. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Here is a link to Y T video giving detail of removal of electrical connector from fan resistor.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3zf5l8lvc

11. pr_mpenn

pr_mpenn New Member

I have a 3.5L V6 engine in my 2010 Dodge Journey SXT and am having trouble with the Cooling Fan. It runs all the time unless (even if the vehicle is not running) we pull a fuse. I have been on the hunt for this Cooling Fan Relay that is not in the TIPM for 5 weeks now and have had no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: there are 2 relays that control the cooling fan on this vehicle. I have located the lo-cooling fan relay inside the fuse box this has been related and fan continues to run.

12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

If it's a solid state relay, there may be only one, and it may be pulse-width driven to get the two speeds. Not sure on these newer vehicles.

13. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

You should have posted your question and continued the thread that you started on Jul 30, 2018 under the category Dodge Journey. That helps for continuity of diagnosis and problem resolution.

Here is that link: 2010 Dodge Journey has Cooling Fan Issues...need help (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/2010-dodge-journey-has-cooling-fan-issues-need-help.172929/#post-1084992105 )

On Aug 1 I suggested you check the radiator fan resistor and its electrical connector. Remove the connector from the resistor. Does the fan continue to run? If you are having difficulty removing the connector review the Y T video that shows how to disconnect.

The schematic reference that I posted on Jul 30, 2018 shows an internal, solid state relay for low fan speed inside the TIPM. The high speed relay is separate and outside the TIPM circuit boards. Now the legend in the fuse box shows 1 fan relay, low speed. I am thinking that is a misprint / incorrect and the relay outside the TIPM circuit board is the HIGH speed fan relay.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The two separate threads have been merged.

15. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

AllanC is correct. The high speed fan relay is outside of the TIPM and looks to be mounted above the radiator fan assembly on the crossbar that the hood latch is mounted to.
    The low speed fan relay is in the TIPM and goes through the dropping resistor to reduce voltage for low speed.
    The hi/lo speed fan relays are conventional mechanical relays that are controlled electronically.
    If the fan is staying on, I feel that this can only be from a couple of things: either the high or low speed fan relays are 'mechanically' sticking on (contacts spot welded together, etc), the internal TIPM driver is shorted 'on' or the radiator fan control module (mounted to the cooling fan assembly) itself is shorted 'on'. Simple electrical tests with a test light should locate the problem. Test when cold with the A/C off, so that you are testing when the fans are supposed to be 'off'.
    I doubt that the fuses or resistor have failed, but they are good test points to check to see if voltage is present.
    If you disconnect the Br/LtBu wire from the underside of the TIPM connector, do the fans stop running?

16. pr_mpenn

pr_mpenn New Member

So finally found Radiator Cooling Fan Relay - Changed this out and fan runs great thank you all for your help. When I picked up the relay from the local O'Reilly Auto it had a bracket on the top that the original one did not have. Used a clip in the bracket to hold it in place. I will also be replacing the resistor when it comes in.

valiant67, ImperialCrown and Doug D like this.
  17. georgef

georgef Well-Known Member

So where was it?

18. pr_mpenn

pr_mpenn New Member

Radiator Cooling Fan Relay is located under the hood up and to the driver side of the resistor. Just on the outside edge of the cooling fan, almost directly behind the hood latch.

19. slowpoke96z28

slowpoke96z28 Member

So circuit K175 should be going to the relay’s coil, opposite power from fuse K34, and not pin 87A as the diagram shows? The TIPM determines the relay to energize based on ccd bus data from the ECM?

20. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

The K175 circuit at the relay radiator fan high is the feedback signal to the circuit board non-serviceable 3 in the TIPM that the high speed fan relay changed state (path changed from 87A to 87) and is powering the high speed radiator fan circuit. Having that K175 circuit connected to the 87A pin of the relay is correct. I believe the wiring is configured in this manner for self diagnostics. If the TIPM energizes the control relay radiator fan high it expects that signal on the K175 circuit to open. If that does not happen then the TIPM knows there is a problem in the relay radiator fan high control circuit or the K175 feedback circuit. An appropriate diagnostic code will be set. My best guess as to how this wiring functions.

YES. There are 3 inputs that the PCM or ECM uses to evaluate activation of the radiator cooling fans. Transmission fluid temperature, engine coolant temperature and air conditioning compressor discharge pressure. It communicates a request for radiator cooling fan operation through the network data bus to the TIPM.