Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 Dodge Journey SXT

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Doug D, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

A few weeks ago I accidently backed my truck into the passenger rear door of our Journey. Damage is enough that a PDR shop couldn't repair it. Reskinning the door would be in the neighborhood of ~$1,000 and I didn't want to file a claim with the insurance for such a small amount and we have a $500 deductible. Recommended either reskinning or if possible find a replacement door. Luckily I was able to find a replacement door (no damage) at one of the local junkyards in the same color (black).

Started calling body shops to see if they could swap. First one I called won't touch it since "the customer is supplying the part" and that is their policy. Second one said they will do it, but it won't be warranted (doesn't bother me). They also said something about possibly having to program the door. Anyone know anything about that? The door is off another 2010 Journey SXT. Both have power door locks and power windows which I believe was pretty much standard. It looks to be pretty much plug and play.

The second shop I called still want me to bring it by for a quote which I will be doing later today.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Each door has a control module with the VIN programmed into it for ID. It may work fine with the different VIN controller or there may be a 'VIN mismatch' fault?
    The best thing in this case might be to swap your original control module over to the new door so that nothing changes.

3. Doug D

Can the door control module be reprogrammed with the vehicle VIN?

4. Doug D

Quote from body shop to remove the damaged door and hang the replacement is $237.60 (5.4 hours at $44/hour). Doesn't include if they have to swap control units.

5. NYBo

Level III Supporter

Wow! How far down the electronics rabbit hole have we gone?

6. Doug D

Thought I'd update this. Wife found a shop that would swap the doors for only $80. Did not need to swap out the control unit in the door. It was simply plug and play. Had it done about two weeks ago. So the total cost of replacing the door totaled $448.

ImperialCrown likes this.