AF: 2010 Journey SXT | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 Journey SXT

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Doug D, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Our Journey suffered a minor boo-boo today. Wife hit a patch a black ice and hit a guard rail. It looks as though it's just the bumper cover and one fog lamp and license plate that will need replacement. Waiting for it to be towed to our local body shop. Wife was 5 miles from work (a 56 mile commute) when it happened this morning. Fortunately, she is okay - no major or even minor injuries. At first she was just rattled, then mad at herself for it happening.

As you can see not too bad.
    upload_2018-12-10_17-27-17.jpeg

Have a new Dodge Caravan (only 6,000 miles) for a rental the insurance company is paying for. At first it was a 4-6 hour wait for a tow and we were going to limp it home, but then decided it would be better to arrange for a tow tomorrow. So it sits at her job site waiting for a tow.

Devildodge likes this.
  2. Manic59

Manic59 Active Member

Doesn't look too bad. I am glad that your wife is okay.

3. Doug D

Finally got the car towed to a local body shop. Noticed at least three other vehicles with bumper damage from this storm.

4. Doug D

Initial estimate is ~$4,000. In addition the obvious damage to the bumper cover there is additional damage to some of the supporting structure behind the bumper. The radiator support is damaged as well as the condenser is damaged. The fenders are slightly bent where the bumper attached the them. The passenger side slightly more than the driver's side. RF headlight is damaged underneath.

My research shows the average value for its age and mileage is roughly $4500 so it looks like it will be total loss since there laws that state if the damage exceeds 75% of the value of the vehicle it must be declared a total loss. Or something to that effect. We'll see what numbers the insurance company comes up with.

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Sorry to hear that - but still glad no one was hurt.

Doug D likes this.
  6. Doug D

It's official. The vehicle is a total loss. The good news is the insurance company valued it higher than I initially estimated - $5,100. After the deductible is applied we are getting $4,600. Guess it's time to go car shopping. We have the rental (2018 Grand Caravan) until next Friday.

Wife making rumblings about looking at a Kia Sportage, but I'm not sold on them. Trying to convince her to get a minivan (again) so we can accommodate the grand children. Either way it will be a used vehicle. Can't afford anything new. But she wants something (preferably a CUV) that gets reasonably good fuel mileage as she has a 56 mile commute.

We did have the option of declining the payout and fixing it ourselves, but I just don't have the time (or the $$$) for that.

7. Doug D

So I spent the better part of the day looking at various models and I am pooped. Couldn't pull the trigger as we are still waiting the final settlement from the insurance company and waiting approval of auto loan (pre approval) from the credit union. And my wife needs to look, touch, drive before we make a decision.

Checked out the following vehicles:

2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 2.4L I4 FWD 5 passenger 65,238 miles $12,770 22/31 mpg
    2016 Kia Sportage LX 2.4L I4 FWD 5 passenger 47,690 miles $13,990 21/28 mpg
    2015 Chevrolet Traverse LT 3.6L V6 7 passenger 103K miles $13,250 17/24 mpg
    2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT 2.4L I4 5 passenger 61,291 miles $14,250 22/32 mpg
    2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6 5 passenger 44,745 miles $14,995 15/21 mpg

The first 4 were at a small dealership. The Sportage is the only one of the choices that has any factory warranty available and it's only what is left of the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. The 10 yr/100K powertrain warranty does not transfer though the salesman seemed to imply that it did. There is a extended warranty available for purchase but it depends on what vehicle we get (probably a 3rd party warranty).

The Liberty was at the CDJRF dealer I have purchased from in the past. The cheapest used Cherokees were just out of our price range ($16,995+). Journey is not an option as we have had two and wife wants something different.

The sales manager at the CDJRF site said he did find a 2014 Kia Sportage LX AWD 83K miles that is available through their sister Kia store for $12,988, but it is currently at another dealer in MD. There is also a 2016 Sportage LX FWD 51K miles for only $13,877.

Going back into town tomorrow so my wife can test drive a few. It'll probably be late next week before we decide what to purchase.

It probably won't be a MoPar. :( More than likely it will be one of the Sportages. I prefer the Traverse, but wife wants/needs something fuel efficient which definitely eliminates the Traverse and the Liberty.

8. wildwaters84

wildwaters84 Member

Good to know your wife is safe.

Doug D and ImperialCrown like this.
  9. Doug D

Update.

We've narrowed it down to two vehicles (unless my wife sees something else). Both are Chevrolet Equinox's (sorry guys). She liked the one at one dealership - is a 2015 with 61K miles. CarMax shipped one down from another location and it is on hold waiting for us to check out. Probably do that tomorrow or Thursday. I think the one at CarMax is a 2015 or 2016 with 67K miles - not sure.

She did not like the Sportage she test drove and the Sante Fe she test drove felt a little cramped.

I have received approval for a loan through our credit union. Just waiting on the settlement funds from our insurance company.

10. Zendaya

Zendaya Member

I am new here so I might be wrong but want to ask that is this a car related forum?

11. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter