Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 Town and Country Rear Hatch Repair

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 28, 2017.

1. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

Good day all. Daughter purchased a pristine 2010 T&C with 10000 miles on it. The rear hatch no longer works only opens half way and the dealer wants 700 plus to fix. Is that reasonable and she was told that a "flash update that is available from Chrysler is an extra cost for a intermittent starting problem. They charge for a flash update? Thanks for any advice.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

In my experience dealers don't charge for updates so long as the warranty is enforce (has not expired). Once the warranty expires they charge for any updates.

dodgeismycar likes this.
  3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

You would have to diagnose the rear hatch. It may be the rear struts have lost their gas charge and can't lift the rear gate like they could when new (common). Cold weather can exacerbate weak gas lift struts.
    The PCM flash is covered under the 8yr/80K mile extended federal emissions warranty. Is it possible that the in-service date is more than 8 years old? All other module flashes would tend to be 3yr/36K miles.
    There are a number of flashes that may be available depending on the build date. One is for the PCM (18-001-10B with 4.0L), another is for the TIPM (08-052-13), VTA/no start (08-061-11), FSM/dead battery (08-042-14). Less critical would be: sliding doors (08-021-10B), instrument cluster (08-011-10) and radio enhancements depending on which radio.
    Once the WiTech tool is hooked up, all modules could be flash updated for little extra labor. You may be able to negotiate a software update package deal with the service desk?
    Have them run the VIN for possible open recalls.
    Good luck with the nice T&C!

4. dodgeismycar

Thank you very much. My daughter is a little more relaxed now. She bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty and they will do all the work under that. The dealer is checking for any recalls per your advice. The dealer is rated very highly and with just a little nudge from my daughter, is going to make it right! Without your suggestions, I don't know if we would have been able to resolve this and a couple of other minor issues if you hadn't given me/us the great info. Thanks again.
    Sure you wouldn't want to move to Raleigh???

ImperialCrown likes this.
  5. Doug D

The dealer should have known the vehicle had the extended warranty assuming it was the AddCare or MaxCare Warranty available from Chrysler. There shouldn't be a need to nudge them.

My servicing dealer (where I also made our last three purchases) routinely brings any flash updates or recalls to my attention whenever I bring one of our vehicles in for service. Of course, both are well out of warranty (Ram is 11 years old with 245K miles and the Journey 7 years old with 129K miles) and any flash updates would be on my dime.

6. dodgeismycar

Hi Doug, hope you're staying warm. My daughter purchased the Premium Coverage warranty from Ally.

7. Doug D

Yeah, we are keeping warm. Was a brisk 15 F this morning and I think it got up to 25 F. But that's nothing compared to points further north.

Okay - Ally would be considered a third party warranty and the service department wouldn't have known that. Only if your daughter had the AddCare or MaxCare would I have expected them to have access to that information.