AF: 2011 compass cooling fan(s) | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2011 compass cooling fan(s)

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by bguy, Jun 25, 2020.

1. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

Hi All.
    My Darling Daughter has now become the primary operator of this vehicle and she's reported overheating at the Tim Horton's drive through. Went back to normal after. I suspect the fan(s) not coming on. The only way to correctly diagnose is with a DRBIII scan tool. Everybody got one of those right? Can I apply 12v to the fan motors to verify they work? I'm expecting it to be relay/harness issue.
    Thanks for looking.

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I would suggest taking the vehicle to an auto parts retailer such as O'Reilly or another vendor that will retrieve any diagnostic codes from the PCM (powertrain control module). Typically this service is done for no fee in the hopes of selling parts. Maybe you have a code P0480 / P0481 which would indicate a problem with the cooling fan circuitry???

You can remove the electrical connector at the fan module and apply power and ground to verify that the fan motors are functioning properly. But you are just "shooting blindly" and hoping you get lucky. Look for any diagnostic codes and if present that will give you direction as the next step in isolating the problem.

Wiring for cooling system radiator fans can be tricky and complex. Is there a resistor(s) in the circuit for low speed fan and direct bypass of resistors for high speed fan operation? Is the circuitry configured with 2 fans such that in low speed operation the fans are wired in series but for high speed operation, engaging and disengaging certain relays changes the wiring configuration to parallel operation? You need a service manual wiring diagram to understand how the wiring is designed.

3. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

Yep. Level lll scanner required.
    At least I can find out if the fan is the problem.
    BTW, no PCM related codes.
    Thanks Allan