Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2011 Mustang AC issues

Discussion in 'Non-Mopar Tech Support' started by Zagnut27, May 15, 2016.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I have a 2011 Mustang and my AC has suddenly decided to stop working. I havent had time yet to start troubleshooting but what i do know is when i select AC there is no change in the temp of the air coming out of the vents. It doesnt feel like its kicking on because I don't feel the power drain. Hopefully I can get a closer look at it tomorrow. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

--Matt

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Unless you have the proper equipment to service the AC and are trained, I'd leave it to a professional. About all you could do is check for any obvious leaks or any blown fuses.

3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I kind of feel the same way, but I at least want to know what I'm in for when I take it to them. I watched a couple videos on replacing the compressor, it doesn't look terribly difficult just a lot of steps. I have most of the tools already, and the one's I don't I can get fairly easily, but I have limited time right now to do anything myself and I've never done this before...but I know this is going to be ungodly expensive to pay someone else. :( Ugh.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

So what will cost more? Paying a professional to accurately diagnose the situation and determine exactly what needs to be done / parts replaced? Or shotgunning hundreds of dollars on parts and time and HOPEFULLY solving the issue?

Sorry to be so condescending but you MUST diagnose and determine the issue before starting any repair. To do less is a wild chase of wasted time and money and frustration.

Does the vehicle have manual or automatic climate control? If it is automatic then there is an even greater degree of complexity.

Let the engine idle and with the A/C activated from the interior controls, look CAREFULLY under the hood and locate the A/C compressor. It could be mounted low or high on the engine. Is the center hub of the compressor turning with the A/C clutch pulley?
    If no then there is a control issue in the electrical circuit to the clutch. It could be a wiring problem, relay problem or fuse problem. Or it could be a failed A/C compressor clutch coil. If the center hub is turning then there is probably a refrigeration problem.

Check the vehicle owner's manual. There should be a section on locating fuses. In the battery junction box there is a fuse F25, 10 amp, that provides power to the A/C clutch relay. Is the fuse intact and passing power.

If the fuse is good then a manifold gauge set should be attached to the system. With the system not running suction and discharge pressures will equalize. If outdoor temperature is around 70 - 80 deg F then system pressure should be 80 - 90 psi. Anything less indicates a slow leak and is probably keeping the system from running.

There are control sensors on the system such that the system will only engage and run if pressure is not too high or not too low. If a sensor fails then that will prevent the compressor from running. There is a temperature sensor on the evaporator that cycles the compressor and keeps it around 32 deg F and prevents icing. If that sensor fails the compressor will not run.

Other than a simple fuse or disconnected wire, diagnosis can get involved. If a simple fuse check does not solve the problem I would suggest you research and find a repair facility that specializes in automotive A/C work. Check references and findings and look for complaints on the shop at a local Better Business Bureau site. Take the vehicle to a shop you choose and authorize 1 hour of diagnosis. One hour should produce a fairly accurate diagnosis and proposed plan for repair.

Zagnut27 and Bob Lincoln like this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I agree. I haven't had time to even look at it yet to try to diagnose the issue as I've been working the last 3 nights, but I'm not about to go replacing anything without knowing what the problem is. But as I said, I've never worked an AC system before so I'm probably going to take it to have someone look at it for me rather than F-it up worse than it already is. I just wanted some input on could possibly be wrong and how to diagnose it...but that's difficult considering that I haven't even looked under the hood yet. If it's something obvious I may try it, but I'm thinking that's not the case...and its going to cost me an arm and a leg. It is what it is. You pay one way or another in the end. Thanks, appreciate the input.

6. Doug D

More than likely there is a small pinhole leak. I'd check the AC lines - particular where the lines seal to metal connections - look for wetness or traces of wetness. As Allan mentioned if enough freon has leaked out, the system has safeguards built in (pressure too high or low) so as not to engage the compressor and further damage the system.

Paying a shop one hour of diagnosis would be money well spent. At least you'd know for sure the actual problem and how to proceed.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Could be low on refrigerant or could be any number of electrical issues that keep it from working.
    There is going to be a rather long diagnostic section in the factory service manual that you'd follow through. I know a couple times I've had the AC quit working, assume it has lost the charge and instead it was an electrical issue that kept it off.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I did look at the fuses when I got home this morning, and I don't see anything obviously wrong. It's really windy out right now, so I couldn't listen to hear if the unit was kicking on or making any strange noises. Later I'll go back out to check for any obvious leaks, but I think at this point I'm going to bow to all of your advice and let a professional take a look. My sister-in-law recommended a guy who is reasonable, so I'll probably go there.

I don't mind trying to do work myself, but this seems like too much of a PITA and above my pay grade...not to mention I have zero time. I will just pay for someone else's time. :)

As always, I appreciate the input greatly.

Doug D likes this.
  9. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

I don't know how closely related a Mustang is to Fusion, but it could be the temperature sensor that has gone bad. The part itself is pretty cheap. The location in the dash requires the dash being removed to replace it.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I think that's why labor charges are high and they rack up because it takes you all day just to get to the part in question.

11. Doug D

Unfortunately, modern vehicles are made for ease of assembly, but not ease of service. :(

On our 2010 Journey one of the rear license plate receivers (where the bolt goes into) froze and I had to have the bolt cut off. Unfortunately, there is no way to access the interior to replace the receiver as there is an interior molding covering that area and that's after removing the hatch's interior panel. The shop owner thinks the hatch has to be removed, the fiber glass molding cut through to access. And then it would have to be patched back together. Guess they figured it would "never" fail. :confused:

Zagnut27 likes this.
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yup. I think of the vintage Jeeps that my brother restores, and you can quite literally fix them with simple tools everyone has in their garage. Flash forward to my Mustang, and the one YouTube video I watched regarding replacing the AC compressor had about a thousand steps BEFORE you dealt with the actual compressor. They're machines from two different times, and I understand why there are differences...but holy crap it is a PITA to fix them on your own now, especially if time is a concern. It is what it is, and I'm ranting a bit. But I really shouldn't complain anyway, this is the first issue I've had with the vehicle in 6 years, 93k miles.

Side note, two buttons on the steering wheel that control volume and next song for the radio just stopped working this morning too. Perhaps a coincidence, or a symptom of a larger electrical issue that could also have affected the AC? Who knows at this point...

13. Doug D

You may have a clock spring beginning to fail. But that's probably a separate issue.

Like I said they are built for ease of assembly. I had to replace the water pump on my '92 Acclaim 2.5L. Spent 90 minutes removing belts, alternator and then moving the AC compressor out of the way before I could even access the water pump. Took me 4.5 hours total in my driveway. I don't even want to think about servicing the 3.5L in our Journey.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  14. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

Exactly!! The Ford dealer quoted $30? (i think for the part). The garage we took my wife's car to charged $350 for the labor.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Maybe it's necessary to design them this way because of all the safety structures and equipment that has to fit into the engine bay nowadays, but it sure makes life difficult when repairs need to be done.

16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

So initially they said it was the compressor. Then they came back and said it was just the o-rings, they replaced and tested and said it was fixed. Picked it up today...still blowing hot air. Needless to say, I'm not happy.

17. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Maybe they forgot to evacuate it and refill it. How much did they charge for the repair?

18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I think it was $400 for parts & labor...took it to the Ford dealer...my first mistake. I was going to take it to another place, but I've never been there before. So I figured...Ford will be expensive, but at least they'll fix it. Ugh.

The repair order says they added dye and freon and no further leaks. Clearly something was missed.

19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

They just called, and said there was a leak in the hose a bit farther from the compressor. It was this leak that made them think it was the o-rings in the first place. Service guy said he was sorry they missed it, and there wouldn't be any charge. Hopefully this is it, I miss my car.

Doug D and Bob Lincoln like this.
  20. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

They should have tested with UV dye, and should have seen where the leak was the first time. Mechanics today don't impress me.

Zagnut27 and Doug D like this.