Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2011 Patriot RES radio help

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by slosland, Aug 20, 2017.

1. slosland

slosland Member

So it gets weirder! I was told to disconnect Blue wires labeled "ANT. POS" . The Good: I let the vehicle sit a whole 4 days without driving, starting, etc. and it started right up. The Bad: Radio only produces static, won't tune in radio channels. I didn't have the patience to search for a CD and try.

2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

I think that means there's a short in the antenna wiring. You basically unplugged the antenna, thus why you couldn't get radio stations. Sounds like checking the antenna wiring is your next step (as long as a cd will play music).

3. slosland

slosland Member

Of course today the battery was dead again, thank God I taught my wife how to use the battery charger so she could make her medical appointment. The new can-bus and harness are already on the way, shipped yesterday.

I'm wondering: if I completely disconnect the wiring harness / radio / can-bus, set them on my workbench,and the same thing occurs (a dead battery) what do I do next? I haven't found a reliable shop for electrical diagnosis EVER! Unfortunately I don't understand the electronics of vehicles, buildings and basic appliances yes, vehicles no.

4. slosland

slosland Member

Newest update; Hooked up multi-meter, reading of .03 on 20m scale, installed new can-bus / no change, unplugged radio / no change, unplugged radio harness from vehicle / no change. I have the car on a battery charger to get full charge and will check voltage. I will check voltage again in the morning since the radio and associated items will have been unplugged. If the readings tonight are significantly different in the morning I will install a spare battery that I know is good (1996 Plymouth that started after sitting 2 weeks) and follow the same procedure.

Is there a TSB addressing any battery drain problems?

5. slosland

slosland Member

Overnight 8 pm to 8am battery voltage dropped from 13.1 to 12.86. Checked again at 4PM, down to12.58.The radio and associated harnesses were disconnected overnight (still are). I have installed temporarily my old Plymouth battery which is 4 years old, voltage reads 12.95. I will check at 8pm and again in the morning. it's looking like the radio is NOT the problem.

6. slosland

slosland Member

So after installing a new can-bus, I was still having the same problem. I decided to head down to Rexx battery to have them check things out on the battery end. Digital meter was reading 12.88 volts, hydrometer however was reading 1.12 and that was after a 1 hour drive after jump starting. I was told my charger isn't working properly. I said the battery is defective.

Since the battery has a 20 month even exchange warranty I returned it and got a new one. Guess what campers? The friggin' battery was the major problem. I haven't had a problem since replacing. The RES radio is still a POS but i now have a good battery, a radio that works without draining said battery, and a wife who can now drive her vehicle with confidence it will start.

Thanks to all who responded. I hope this BS helps someone diagnose their problem in the future so they don't have to go through all the crap I had to.

7. slosland

slosland Member

GUESS WHAT!?!?
    DEAD BATTERY TODAY!
    Taking it to the dealer next week.
    I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pissed.

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Something seems to be staying on. It may not be staying on all the time which means that it must be caught in the act. Did this problem all start with the radio change?
    Battery hydrometer (specific gravity) reading are a somewhat valid test of a battery, but not really possible with today's sealed batteries.
    Battery terminal voltage doesn't tell me very much unless it is a starter motor load test.
    Milliammeter draw with the ignition off is the best way to test for IOD.
    Diagnosis first. Have the dealer inform you of their findings before any repairs.

9. slosland

slosland Member

Apparently the dealer thought I didn't know how to wire the radio. I gave them the complete story as listed here in the forum. They told me the day I brought it in (Wednesday) that the draw was from the radio and they would repair it. I told them I disagreed but if they could assure me it could be fixed go ahead. They called Friday evening before closing and reported no additional problems and i could pick it up .

Today I drove the 20 miles to the dealer, shelled out $139.00, got the keys, went to start it and GUESS WHAT? DEAD BATTERY!
    Of course no mechanics on duty today, so I had to leave the jeep with them again, relay the story again and kept my temper in check while telling them to fix it right, look somewhere else for the problem and get back to me Monday.

10. slosland

slosland Member

Dealer cannot find the cause. Should I re-post on another Allpar forum with just the electrical issue to get more feedback? If so which forum?

11. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

They may not have found the cause, but did they at least verify the symptom? This is the first step in any repair (see link below).
    It did go dead on them? Did it happen more than once?
    Did they verify an (intermittent) excessive current draw? Is there no unusual draw, but the battery is discharging when sitting?
    The battery, wiring and charging systems check out fine at all times?
    Nothing like this has ever happened to this vehicle before until the radio was replaced? There could be a co-incidental failure, but chances are that this is directly related. Do you still have the original radio to plug in and try for a week?

Someone is missing something here:
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/elec14.pdf

You paid the dealer's price of admission. Don't let them give up on this. They owe you an answer.

slosland likes this.
  12. slosland

slosland Member

IC,

They verified the problem because the battery was dead when I went to pick it up less than 24 hrs after they called to say it was fixed. hey had to jump start it to get into the garage. I'm sure when they get back to work Monday it will be dead again.

Even with the radio uninstalled it does the same thing.
    They verified the new battery is good, the alternator charges the battery as it should. The wiring is one of the things I asked them to check.

Before I took it in I removed and cleaned all the ground straps,bolts, and ground surfaces to rule those out.

Will re-flashing the computer help? Maybe it has a command that it's trying to implement?

ImperialCrown likes this.
  13. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There was a flash that affected your particular issue with the factory radio, but since you no longer have the factory radio installed, it would not apply:
    http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0802512.pdf
    I mentioned this TSB in post # 16. This is not to say that there is a TSB or flash for all module 'stay awake' problems and it could still be the problem.
    The trouble is, that if the modules are all behaving OK at the time the technician is working on it, then nothing will look out of the ordinary.

slosland likes this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I had a mysterious battery drain in my 2007 Magnum. Oddly it only drained the battery when the car was left unlocked. I never did find the cause as when I replaced the ECU for a no-start problem, the battery never went dead again.

15. slosland

slosland Member

Dealer informed me today that they have been able to verify the fault and cannot figure out what is causing the problem, said they have reached out to Chrysler Corporation tech's for assistance on how to proceed ... probably have the vehicle a 3rd week!

16. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Good. If this is now a STAR case, that should bring factory guidance and resources into the repair process.

slosland likes this.
  17. slosland

slosland Member

FINALLY got the Jeep back this evening. The diagnosis and fix, I'm still holding judgement until we have a week or so of driving behind us, was a wireless control module. We will see and report back.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  18. slosland

slosland Member

DEAD BATTERY AGAIN TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. slosland

slosland Member

It goes back to the dealer tomorrow. I'm at a loss as what to do next, collectively my wife and I are very disappointed and depressed...it has been a terrible year for us and this doesn't help.

20. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I am sorry to hear that the saga continues.
    Something must be staying awake or waking up at times. Intermittent electrical can be a real frustration and the best-intentioned guesses can be a waste of time and money.
    If they were in fact able to catch the WCM awake when it shouldn't have been, perhaps the replacement is staying awake because of some external trigger?
    Is there any type of transponder or RFID-chipped device inside or in the proximity of the vehicle when it is parked? I have found electronic children's toys left in the back seat of a minivan that was triggering vehicle modules to come on at times even with the toy off.
    It could still be a vehicle problem and it would be best to begin diagnosis from the start again. Review everything that has been tried from when the problem first surfaced. Any changes in seemingly benign items may provide an important clue. The radio change is an important piece of information, but it 'appears' to be unrelated now. I think that you have proved that. It is best to rule nothing out at this point and narrow down the Possible Causes' as the diagnosis proceeds.
    A technician will have to think like Sherlock Holmes on this one. Ask that the STAR case be re-opened. Maybe Andrea from OfficialMopar can help steer the repair process for you?
    I have used a peanut bulb in series with the IOD and any battery-powered fuses with the car off. It should dim way down to a dull red after everything falls asleep. I have to watch it and make sure that it stays barely lit. I have come back to find that the lamp is glowing a yellow-orange. This indicates a draw and the time to go in carefully to try to find what is on. It may mean not opening a door as that would disturb the symptom and wake everything up. Leaving the windows rolled down allowed me into the car without disturbing the door switches.
    Keep the jumper cables handy for now. It is fine once started?