Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Avenger Passenger Side and No heat

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by chuckt, Jan 3, 2018.

1. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

My neighbor is trying to solve a problem with an Avenger of which heat comes out of the driver side ducting but the passenger side blows cold (ambient temp). He has checked and tried to burp the coolant of any air pockets and we have watched the vent door actuators opening and closing.
    Googling the problem, it seems that people point toward a clogged heater core but that makes no sense since it is nothing more than a heat exchanger, just like the radiator, with fins, tubing and one tube in and one tube out. If it was clogged, hot coolant would not course through the tubing leading to no heat to either drive or passenger side. And that heater core is not compartmentalized for driver and passenger sides.Therefore, I am inclined to think that there is a mixing door in the large, plastic case under the dash that is not operating.
    It is a common problem from what I see on the internet. As is the case, it is January in the Chicago burbs and even in the garage, life is tough. Wish I could somehow have that duct box in hand or a drawing cutaway of what is inside.

2. Mastertech63

Supporter

Clogged heater core. I did it twice in my 2012 Avenger R/T. No heat passenger side. First time it was covered under warranty. Second time I did it. What happens is that only half of the core gets plugged and doesn't allow hot air flow towards passenger side. It has to do with the layout inside the airbox not the core itself.

3. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

Then, you are saying that even though the core is clogged that coolant can course through the driver's side portion. I would think that the core is one long tube that is in a zig-zag pattern with the inlet at one end and the outlet a the other. If this is so, then coolant could not course and the heater core would not get hot coolant and neither drive nor passenger side would get heat. So, you are saying that the core is like some type of parallel circuit (using electricity for analogy) and the coolant can course through 1/2 the core.

4. Mastertech63

Supporter

Yes, the core has two tanks with parallel tubes between them. Some of the tubes get clogged and reduces flow. Air flows across the entire surface but since a portion is no longer passing hot coolant through it the air does not get heated. I have had success with some partially clogged ones by power flushing the core. The hoses are easily accessible from under hood. Just disconnect them and force water through, alternating from side to side. If the restriction is not too solid it will work loose. This is easier than the 5 hours or so for pulling the instrument panel out! Heacat makes a great tool for power flushing. Works sort of like a sonic clear. The tool pulsates the water flow to vibrate the particles loose. It is a little pricey for a one time use.

5. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

Wow and thanks for your info. That power flush must be pretty forceful since the water can course thru the driver's side and the passenger's side would only get a fraction of the pressure if the purge had the same pressure as the coolant's. I have read that the cause is sand from the block left over from when it was cast so no chemical purge (like CLR) is useful.

6. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

I don't like to leave topics open. I talked with my neighbor and it was a plugged heater core. It took him about 6 hours of labor for the repair (install a new core) but both sides are now blowing hot air. When I see him again (he is pretty busy as an auto mechanic), we're going to cut the core to see its design. Upon removing the old core, he blew into it and felt no resistance so it must be designed like a parallel system.

Doug D likes this.
  7. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Did the last year Avenger/200 still have that same core?