Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 CHARGER SXT

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by 04RAMSRT10, Apr 25, 2013.

1. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

I am giving another update on my car which I purchased on 9/1/12. It now has just under 18,000 miles with no problems to report. It continues to be a very pleasing car. The ride, handling, braking, and appearance are all just as new. It has not developed any rattles or squeaks. The fuel mileage is excellent and better than I had hoped for. This car is really a joy and it really makes people look at it. I have also been pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Firestone tires, that was a point of concern for me. I must say that the people that developed this car and those that assembled it have done an excellent job.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  2. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Great to hear!

3. Glenn81

Glenn81 Member

Glad to hear this, thanks for the update!

4. Turchman

Turchman Member

Good to hear, love my 2013 also

5. 04RAMSRT10

I want to give another update. I have now passed 11 months of ownership and also passed 24K miles. There has been one recall to reprogram the TCM and that is the only trip to the dealer. There have been no repairs needed, only oil changes and tire rotation. The Firestone Firehawk tires, to my surprise are still very smooth and ride, handle and brake good. They are showing a fair amount of even wear. For the last week i have not reset the fuel mileage computer, with my daily commute, lunch runs, and other trips I went weel over 500 miles. The indicator is at 30.5mpg at this moment. I have found it to be slightly favorable compared to the actual calculator. This car is amazing and for the life of me I don't know how more buyers aren't all over this thing.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  6. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Which drivetrain do you have in your Charger?

7. 04RAMSRT10

It has the 3.6L pentastar with the ZF 8 speed. For a daily driver it just doesn't get better than this. For a upscale 300S or C I think it is country club material and way more.

8. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Sounds just like my '12.
    I've got the 20" wheel/tire combo and it corners like it's on rails. hoo haaa!
    My only mini gripe with the car is the not so user friendly e-shifter.

Returning from the Carlisle show this year i was averaging 34 to 35 mpg along the turnpike at 73 mph.
    A half hour into Michigan the mileage had dropped down to 32mpg.
    Yep, our roads are that smooth. No sarcasm just the truth.
    Why this state cannot pave a road that lasts more than 2 yrs is beyond me.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. 04RAMSRT10

A quick update, 1 year has passed and 26,300 miles driven. There has not been one single problem, failure, or repair. This car is wonderful. I am convinced that the L cars are some of the best made. I am so happy with everything about the car, the 3.6L engine is perfect when matched to the 8 speed. Wow, what a buy.

wtxiceman, UN4GTBL and JA Cumbo like this.
  10. pjfsu331

pjfsu331 Member

Our roads are AWFUL here in Michigan!

11. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

My friend called me up and wants to go "Charger shopping" this afternoon, so we'll see. Always fun to look.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I used to love the smooth riding Michigan roads of Portland cement compared to our tarmac mess here in NY. I-96 and I-75 were dream drives.
    We have 3 seasons here: Road Work Ahead, Under Construction and Detour.
    And let's not forget our beloved "Senetor Pothole":
    http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/senator-pothole-encounters-one/?_r=0

13. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

Interesting comments. We had a month this summer touring the Michigan Upper Penninsula. The highways and side roads were all in excellent condition. Shoulders were wide, surfaces were smooth. Minnesota, one of the highest taxed states had absolutely horrible main highways, poor signage and was actually damaging to our travel trailer.

14. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

23 months and 21k miles, my 2012 SXT Plus has been perfect.
    20 to 21 mpg driving around town and 34 hwy in a huge, quite, rock solid vehicle.
    Bright red and chrome wheel are a nice change from the sea of white/grey/black cars on the road.
    Only trips to the dealer were for oil changes and tire rotations.

I-75 down near Ohio border and I-94 on the west side of Mich. are the only rough stretches i've found lately.
    Any hwy. going "up north" is pretty smooth.

15. 04RAMSRT10

UPDATE: at 35k miles I bought new Michelin tires and ditched the Firestones. They had tread left but were very noisy. This car should cost a couple of hundred more and come with these Michelin tires. Anyway the car continues to be a joy to ride and drive. I absolutely love it. Fuel economy still is amazing and the drive train is nothing short of the best. You can count the problems with this car as a big fat ZERO. As a side note, I have a friend that just bought a 2014 Honda Civic automatic. Guess who gets the better mileage in real world driving? This Charger does. Amazing indeed. Today I drove my 2008 Challenger SRT to work, I love the Challenger but I miss the refinement of that later generation Charger. I truly would say that anyone wanting a new car should get a Charger with a 3.6/8 speed.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I'm at just over 14K on my 2012 Challenger SXT. Last summer at around 12K I ditched the Firestones because one was damaged from me hitting a curb when someone cut me off and another was separating enough to make the steering wheel shake at certain speeds.

It feels like a different car with better tires on it. I picked Goodyears.

17. 04RAMSRT10

Another update
    Now the car is at 39K miles. The Michelin tires have made a big difference in this car, great choice and improvement. This was a solid car on new Firestones, It is way better now. Nothing has changed and all is good. I will tell about one recent trip. I had to travel over to Augusta, Ga. This drive included some city driving and then a split between two lane country roads and interstate. The interstate had a great deal of 80 mph rolling. Upon arrival the meter read 35.2 mpg. Really!!! in a car with this power and weight.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. 04RAMSRT10

Another update: This car is now over 24 months in service. There has been no warranty service. I did replace the front rotors. The odometer is over 50,000 miles. One word best describes this car, amazing. I do not think there is a better car anywhere. The fuel mileage remains in the high 20's to low 30's. Comfortable, looks goods, drives good, great ergonomics and comfort features at a bargain price. A big thank you to the employees at BAP for building such fine products.

JA Cumbo likes this.
  19. 04RAMSRT10

It has been many months since my last update. The car now has around 68K miles and still has had no issues. It still performs flawlessly and is a joy to drive. I have owned many cars in my life and some cost way more. As a family workhorse and daily commuter this is the best car I have EVER owned. There are not enough superlatives to describe the car. I seriously do not even think about another car as my daily driver.

20. 04RAMSRT10

Well the car is now at 3 years of service and 75K miles. I continues to be the go to car in our fleet. Everybody hops in and goes when it is available. Everything remains the same. AMAIZING is the best word for this car. I absolutely love it and know there is no better car available.

AvengerGuy, JA Cumbo and somber like this.