Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 CHARGER SXT

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by 04RAMSRT10, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Dave_B

Dave_B New Member

I'm at 4 years with my 2011 Rallye Plus. Other than the recalls it's been mostly flawless. The rubber trim pieces on the sunroof won't stay on so those are in the trunk, one of the rear calipers was hanging up, and the gawd awful original Michelin Pilot tires with only 27k miles on them are needing replacement, going with Continental TrueContacts before the snow flies. It even survived an assault by a minivan, $13k in repairs last December.

2. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

Thank you for providing us with continuous updates of your real-world experiences with a new Charger. We need to get the message out to our co-workers, friends and family members that the Charger is a far better car than most people might believe. If more people knew, the CJDR dealerships would be selling more cars, and with less people buying from Brand T, Brand H, Brand N, Brand F, Brand C, etc.

pug-man likes this.
  3. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I just used a little rubber cement on those trim pieces.

4. desavona

desavona Active Member

How are you liking the Conti True Contacts? That is what I bought for my wife's Patriot and what I've decided on for my charger unless the DWS Extreme Contacts become available in my size. Been a great tire so far on the Patriot but we will see this winter.

5. Dave_B

Dave_B New Member

Compared to the factory Michelins they are an improvement. decrease road noise, wet traction is better, haven't had any snow yet so can't comment on that.

desavona likes this.
  6. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

Here is another update, my car is now at 85k miles. I remains an amazing car. This past weekend we went to the mountains of NC and it snowed. There was a bit of snow and ice on many roads and this rwd car was just fine. I do have one small problem, the exhaust pipe has cracked at the muffler. Oh well, things happen. Other than that everything is great.

somber likes this.
  7. 04RAMSRT10

This car continues to perform very well. It has passed 4 years and is approaching 102K miles. I just order and install new front rotors and pads. The pads actually had a lot of life left in them but I figured new rotors might perform better with new pads too. I also replace the accessory belt. The belt was is good shape as well. Now the next service is the transmission. Has anyone performed this service on their 8 speed? If so what filter and fluid did you use? There is no dipstick so

somber likes this.
  8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I'd refer to the owner's manual regarding transmission service. I believe the 8 speed does not need the traditional services and is considered "lifetime".

9. 04RAMSRT10

That is correct. However, most certified professionals say there is no such thing as lifetime and that the transmission should be serviced. I tend to agree with that thought. The filter could become clogged enough to restrict fluid flow and poor lubrication and over heating will kill that transmission. I am really wondering if anyone has used either Amsoil or Valvoline fluids that are rated as meets requirements? Also there is now an aftermarket pan/filter assembly that has a removable filter. The assembly is around $180 but the filter replacement is only $40.

10. 04RAMSRT10

Update: I went on an all day business trip yesterday which covered 453 miles down into south Georgia. At the end on the trip the car was at 31.8 mpg. Much of this trip was at speeds of 80 mph or more. I continue to be amazed by this car.

somber, Tater's Dad and pug-man like this.
  11. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Who needs Consumer Reports Magazine when we can just chat with actual owners on the interweb.
    I'm now driving a 16 Charger R/T same Bright Red and loaded as my 12 SXT. The hemi with the 8spd will ave 28 mpg for me cruising at 80. Mines been perfect to date. The brand new Impala V6 rental last week only got 28 hwy. sheesh! Put a bow-tie emblem on a LX car and they would be "Car of The Year" every year.

MPE426HEMI and JA Cumbo like this.
  12. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

That sounds very much like the numbers our 2015 Charger SXT rental was doing on our trip down to North Carolina. I filled the tank all the way to full in Southern Ohio we went all the way down to central North Carolina and did some side trips while down there. The next morning as we prepared to head back north, I filled it all the way up, (the low fuel light came on as we went to fill up) and made it almost home before having to fill it up again. I think the average MPG was around 30.5 when we dropped it off.

13. 04RAMSRT10

IMO this is the best car money can buy. I don't even look at other products and this ownership makes me think "why would I". Long term ownership and living with a car everyday says way more than the magazine tests. I do put some weight into the long term test reports but I look at those with some balance of reality since those tests may top 20K miles.

MPE426HEMI and somber like this.
  14. 04RAMSRT10

Another update: the car now have over 117K miles. It continues to perform very well. There is a rattle here and there but not too bad. The car is solid, tracks great, go great, interstate king, back road master as well, it is just wonderful. The fuel economy continues to amaze me. I am reading article about the end of the Pentastar and let me say this, whoever came up with this idea is an idiot. This is hands down the best engine ever. I have never seen an engine perform this well with no oil leaks, no problems, and always ready to go. I does not matter what rpm just hit the gas and you are off. It will push this big car around like a V8 and is so smooth. I have seen other write about how safe the car is, I don't want to crash to find out but I am glad that the L body saved them. These are the best cars ever built IMO.

JA Cumbo, somber and valiant67 like this.
  15. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

I have a 2012 Charger SE with the 3.6/8 Speed combo, mine also came with 18 inch chrome clad wheels, the car is very sharp looking, fuel mileage is awesome. Recalls? I have had too many to count, I lost track, Chrysler sent me a free oil change and a voucher for $150 of free Mopar parts/gear because of it. My odometer reads just under 75K miles, 3/4 of which are highway miles, I am slightly disappointed in the ride quality, first my brakes warped, I replaced the rotors with Napa parts, shortly later I put on Bridgestone Turanza's on, the ride quality improved for a short period of time but I still had a slight chop at certain speeds, then the culprit raised it's head, at 73K miles I had to replace both front lower control arms. $720 had them fixed but now the tires have a slight feathering in them and the ride quality still sucks because of it. I need to check with the tire shop to see if I can exchange them with new ones.

I have noticed that this car inspires others to drive fast, I can't tell you how many people have to give me an exhibition of speed.

16. desavona

desavona Active Member

You aren't a Delta pilot are you? :p

17. 04RAMSRT10

My car passed 120K miles this week. I was driving today and thinking that I have done almost nothing to this car. It is amazing. I have always had Mopar products. There was a time when I bought an Acura and a Honda. The Acura was a good car for a long time but it did have problems such as EGR system, window regulators, lights, and brakes. The Honda requires work all the time to include 2 transmissions. Enough about that junk. I am wondering is there anybody that has had a major failure of Pentastar or 8 speed ZF?

somber likes this.