Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Chrysler 200 - climate control door creaking/squeaking

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Bob Lincoln, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My wife's car, bought new. Around 38K miles, the recirc door was making a loud clicking noise every time a selection was made, and every 20 minutes or so after the car was shut off, or if a door was opened. The problem went away when I replaced the recirc door actuator. The part I removed had no visible defects or gears stripped inside.

Within several months, instead of clicking, we now get a loud creaking/squeaking from the right side of the dash - same conditions - every time a selection was made, and every 20 minutes or so after the car was shut off, or if a door was opened. When I replaced the recirc door actuator, I twisted the shaft on the recirc door, and the door turned easily - no binding at all.

Is it the door binding now? No clicking noise, it's creaking. Should I have performed a calibration after replacing the actuator? If so, how is it done?

All functions work normally when selected. It just sounds like a ghost car. Any change at all in climate control selection, even turning the fan on or to a different speed, sets it off.

2. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Possibly the recirc door? It is just below the air intake on the right side of the cowl plenum under the screen.
    If you remove the screen with the hood up, you may be able to watch the door open and close.
    There may be rubber recirc door edge seals and the pivot axle that are noisy and could be quieted with a shot of silicone spray?

4. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Sounds like that area. I just hate to disassemble too much and find it's something else. But it was quiet for a few months after the actuator motor replacement. And when I changed the motor, I turned the door shaft, and there was no binding at all. Apparently there is now.

5. Tomguy

Level 2 Supporter

When I was working on my Avenger I discovered the rubber seals on nearly all of the blend doors were sticky/tacky.
    I coated them all with silicone dielectric grease. I have had no squeaks, creaks, or binding issues with my HVAC since.

6. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

How did you access the seals on the doors?

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

You may be able to see the recirc door from up top. looking down into the HVAC air intake. Other doors may be partially visible after removing the blower motor and evaporator temperature probe grommet.
    I agree that the rubber seals, while able to completely close air passage, do tend to 'stick' to the walls of the plastic housing after some years.

8. Tomguy

Level 2 Supporter

I had the dash out to be fair... I don't think you can get to the top two flaps without doing that.

9. ygdude

ygdude Active Member

we had the same exact problem on our 2012 200. i didn't "fix" it. i unplugged and a year or 2 later traded in on a 300S. No worries. problem fixed (ok that may not be a solution for everyone)

the 200 wasn't a "Bad car" but it wasn't great and i just didn't see it lasting plus it had the horrible rear suspension control issues

in the 26 years we've been married that is the 1st car we ever traded. we've run all the other Chryslers into the ground at 160-248000 miles (note 2 were totaled or they'd still be driving).

10. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Haven't had a chance to service it yet, but it has 60K miles on it and runs flawlessly otherwise. Great, smooth, silent ride with good handling.

By any chance, is there a 'homing' procedure that can be performed when you replace a door motor? Just turning the climate control fan off without touching the temperature or mode will make the car cycle the doors and make this noise. That shouldn't happen. Any change to the system settings will cause this, but you'd think turning off the fan would not make it attempt to find the home position.