Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Chrysler300 s tires

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by limechallenger, May 2, 2017.

1. limechallenger

limechallenger Active Member

Ok guys, I've got a 2012 300s with 30,000 miles, the wife just picked up a nail in the right rear. Tire shop cannot repair it, but showed the wife that all four are in need of replacement. It's got the factory installed 20" Firestones, I would like something a little quieter ,and maybe a little more tread life(seems like I should get more than 30,000) I am comfortable with the performance of the Firestones, but could use something quieter! Any experiences or suggestions?

2. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I still prefer Goodyears. I'm in my 3rd LX car with the Firestones and have found they are o.k. through winter but terrible in rain on these cars. They spin way too easily under acceleration.

3. limechallenger

I think I'm looking at either Michelin Premacy MXM4 , or possibly BFG G-Force comp 2 a/s. Any body have any input?

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

All I know is that the Goodyear Eagle RSA was a huge improvement over the Firestones on my car and the RSA is an old design.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Almost everyone has an opinion about good or bad tires they have owned in the past. Some new car OEM tire selections have been unfortunate. There are a couple of threads here on LX traction control/handling issues that were all basic tire issues.
    A tire choice can make or break a great new car driving experience.
    Michelin are premium tires, but over-priced in my opinion. I haven't had great luck with Good Year or Continental at the dealer level. The larger tire companies seem arrogant and not really helpful if a complaint arises.
    I have done business with the smaller tire brands like Cooper, Futura (a Pep Boys brand of Cooper) and Cornell. They offer road hazard warranties, but I usually take my chances and just buy the tires over-the-counter.
    If you buy tires over the internet, sometimes there is a discount that you can't get otherwise.
    My sister has cupping problems on Dunlop tires (noisy) that weren't worn. Pirellis seem to wear quickly. We replaced her Dunlops with Kellys (Kelly-Springfield) and have been OK since.
    I have not yet had experience with Kuhmo or Chinese/Asian brand tires. They have had good ratings and have to meet certain safety standards, but somehow (like Kia/Hyundai) I still don't trust them for quality.
    The tire rating system (treadwear, temperature and traction) should be stamped on the sidewall for comparison with other tires.

wtxiceman and Doug D like this.
  6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I've had good experiences with Firestone tires. Currently have Firestone Affinity tires on it. I did not have good experiences with Kumho's. They were worn out by 40,000 miles.

As Imperial posted, Michelin's are good tires with excellent traction and wear, but they are expensive. My '06 Ram 1500 came with Michelin's and they lasted 111,000 miles. Replaced them with Firestone Destination LE's which lasted 80,000 miles. Currently have Primewell's (an inexpensive tire available through Firestone) on it, but they are getting worn after 40,000 miles.

Sometimes Tire Rack has good deals.

7. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I've bought Bridgestone turanza tires twice, been very happy with how quiet they are. cant give you mile numbers because I sold one car with them, and my wife's Camry has been only two years. Though no noticeable wear.

8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Make sure you check the date codes on the tires before they install them.
    I spent $600 on Michelins a few years ago, and they sold me new tires that I later discovered were 33 months old before I got them. The sidewalls separated badly all around within 20K miles and 4 years. Tire shop told me that tires now only last 5 years and need to be replaced at that point, and that legislation is pending for that purpose. I call BS.
    I won't use Michelin because of this. Happened on two of my cars, the other set had 60K miles and near-perfect tread, but the sidewall also separated. Goodyears are quiet with decent tread life, but traction is not as good as Michelin. I bought General Altimax for one car and Mastercraft (Cooper) for the other. Both have good traction and are quiet so far.

MPE426HEMI and Doug D like this.
  9. Doug D

In a conversation I had with the Firestone rep he indicated after a tire reaches 10 years of age (as indicated by the date code) it is recommended to replace them - even if they have never been used (spare tire).

I just checked the date codes on my vehicles. The tires on the Ram were coded 0714 (week 7 of 2014) and I purchased them in May 2014. The tires on the Journey (purchased Aug 2015) have a few different date codes - 1015 (2), 1715 and 4314. So the oldest one was about 9-10 months old when I purchased it.

Now I did have a vehicle, a 1986 GTS, that absolutely did not like Michelins. I had knots the size of my fist develop in two of the tires. It may have been an issue with the struts being worn out, but I do remember replacing the struts at one point. Whether it was before or after those tires I cannot recall.

10. limechallenger

Went with the Michelin Premacy MXM4, very nice tire, a huge improvement over the factory Firestones it had on it! A lot quieter and they seem to handle aggressive driving a little better! Thanks for all the input!!

11. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

The Michelins i've had were hard as rocks. I guess for longer wear, but were no better in rain than the 'stones on my 16 Charger.

12. edvan

edvan Well-Known Member

I started another thread where I complained about the ESC system on my RWD 2015 Chrysler 300C. I was and am convinced that the engine cutback system which is supposed to intervene when neither tire has traction did not work. It worked great on my 2008 300C. The dealer saw no codes so I gave up and replaced the Firestone FR710s with Michelin Premier A/S. They are indeed expensive tires. But, as yet I have not been able to break these tires loose. I have tried one tire on wet ground, the other on slushy ground, floored it and the car leaped forward. I now have the confidence to blast into an off ramp even when it is raining. The car had 20000 miles when I replaced the Firestones. Otherwise, I have not seen a great improvement in ride comfort or noise level.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  13. boblonben

boblonben MOPAR Guy
    Level 2 Supporter

Always interesting to read tire comments from folks. Over the past 12 years have run my own testing of tires on various vehicles - a 2004 Ram Rumble Bee, a 2009 Challenger R/T Plus, a 2004 SRT-4, and a 2004 Grand Caravan Sport. Found the original tires on all of these were Goodyears of various tread types, but ALL same tread wear grading - surprised actually. Found the Bee and Challenger did NOT perform well - wet, dry, no snow here. Got less than 40K from each set. Replaced on the Bee with Michelins - which I took off within six months, expensive, ride way to hard, side bubbles on both front tires. Crap LX tires. Went to Generals, have had great wear and service with these. The Challenger I went to Firestone Indy 500's. GREAT tire, Got 65k miles out of them, ride great, perform outstanding. Bought another Challenger and had other Firestones put on, did not like them for ride or performance, went to another set of 500's - perfect. The SRT-4 Goodyears were junk for day one. After going thru four brands of tires - Michelins, Dunlop, Cooper, Kumho - all of them failed to be acceptable. Ended up with Generals that run great, and got just under 45K miles. On the caravan took off the goodyears after a year from balancing problems and went to Generals, great tire. Anyway, Generals have ended up being best deal in most cases.

14. boblonben

boblonben MOPAR Guy
    Level 2 Supporter

Additional note: The Goodyears on my Jeep Grand Cherokee were Fortellas and are a great tire, as are they on my 2016 Ram R/T Sport. My 78 Lil Red Express got Milestar's (Grantlands) and they are superb on this truck! Lots of options out there, too many sometimes I think.

15. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

General Altimax are decent tires. It's all I'll buy, for now. Good on noise, wear and grip. The Firestone Affinity that came on my Patriot seems to be wearing ok, but they are as noisy as hell. The worst tire I ever had was the Yokohama's on my 2011 DGC. They were quiet enough, but they wore out way too quick. Goodyears I gave up on a good few years (Lol) ago because they wore way too quickly. Haven't tried them lately as I've been impressed with the Generals. I've found over the years it's hard to stick with any tire company or type, for too long because every few years the company messes with the compound or tread pattern or whatever and turns the tire into crap. Then it's on to another manufacturer.

boblonben and Bob Lincoln like this.
  16. Doug D

The Firestone Destination LE's I had on my Ram were somewhat noisy, but it's a truck. I expect it to be somewhat noisy. Couldn't hear the tires with the windows up and the AC and radio on anyways. Can't hear the Affinity's we have on the Journey with the window's up either.

17. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The problem with tire recommendations is what is a good tire in one size can be a crappy tire in a different size. The OEM crap 20" Firestones on my 2012 Challenger and 2013 300 were the same brand and model as the ones on my 2013 500c (I think they were 15" on the Fiat). Noisy and rough on the big cars, quiet and smooth on the Fiat. Same tread design, different sizes.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  18. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Sorry, by noisy I meant rough. You can feel them through the vehicle and every scratch on the road too. Some tires make you feel like you're floating while others slap the pavement. Correct. What works good on one vehicle may not be the same result on another.

19. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

My 2015 Charger SXT (18" wheels) came with Michelin Primacy MXM4's. They were okay, but I had to replace at 41K miles. I replaced with Michelin Premier A/S, which has a 640 treadwear rating. I've only driven a few hundred miles on them, but I like them so far, very quiet.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  20. adaptabl

adaptabl Active Member

Firestone now has a Firehawk A/S tire that is pretty good as an all season tire.