Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Dash waring lights flashing

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by Richard1, May 20, 2017.

1. Richard1

Richard1 Member

Yesterday as I drove my Grand Cherokee through fairly deep water/rain (but not as deep as many times) some of the dash lights blinked on, music flashed off, etc. Message came on saying park assist needed servicing. When I got to work, no camera.

On my way home, everything was normal.

Today I started out in deeper water (raining for 3 days) and lights started blinking, seat belt warning, etc. I stopped and turned off the engine to reset it, and no start: just lights on when I pushed the start button. I left it parked and came back 3 hours later. It started, but barely ran until I got it to shift into 1st. Then drove home in first.

Any thoughts? only 71,000 km. I'm thinking of trying a new battery tomorrow (still original), or looking for a short.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Any other battery failure symptoms? Any stored fault codes?
    It does sound like water has got into a connector and is causing electrical leakage. Did water get into the vehicle, like under the dash? Possibly in the CAN bus wiring?
    Nothing underhood I can think of that would concern the seatbelts or Park Assist.

3. Richard1

Richard1 Member

No water to the inside. It is very common for my first mile or so to go through water 10 to 14 inches high, at low speeds, but with higher wakes from oncoming cars or busses, sometimes pushing waves with their bumpers.
    Alternator was replaced about a month ago for bearing failure.
    The rain is supposed to stop around noon, so then I'll try with a battery from one of my other cars.

4. Richard1

Richard1 Member

For now I am blaming the battery, although I've never had a bad battery react that way. I checked the voltage on Sunday and it was only 10 volts across the posts. Took me two days to find one almost the right size and squeeze it in, but it seems to be working fine now.
    Just glad it didn't happen a6 days earlier when I was 400 miles from civilization.

5. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

I believe that replacing the battery should resolve your issue. Being at 10 volts sounds like you had a bad cell and was pulling down the voltage when the motor was running.

Low battery voltage will cause all sorts of weirdness with the computers these days, at times with the blinking dash lights and other times with a multitude of unrelated obd codes.

Doug D likes this.
  6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Agree with Gerry. At 10 volts I doubt the battery would have enough voltage and cranking amps available to start.