Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 key fob battery replacement?

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by cjben, Nov 29, 2013.

1. cjben

cjben New Member

A friend's 2012 Journey has a light on the dash that says the key fob battery needs replaced. I have never done this before on any vehicle and couldn't find any info online specific to the 2012. Would it be the same process as shown in this video? And the vehicle wouldn't need to be taken to the dealer for any reason,would it? thanks!! Not sure why the video isn't showing up in my post,but it can be found on youtube under "

"How to change battery in dodge key fob"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IZ42IXDpuc

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Is the car still under warranty? Usually these batteries last for many years. It may have to go to the dealer for this.

3. stew1927

stew1927 Member

Soi now I know how to replace the battery in key fob for my 2014. Exactly the same. Thanks

4. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

I also had to change one of my remote batteries for the 2011 JGC 2 months before I traded it on my 2014. The instrument panel kept telling me the vehicle doesn't recognize the key so after calling dealer, they said battery is bad, so after replacing it, everything worked fine.That is a tiny battery for a whole lotta work! It only took about 5 minutes.

5. daws

daws New Member

My 2012 Journey had the same issue, so I mentioned it when at the dealer's for an oil change- They changed out the battery for free.

floridaman2013 likes this.
  6. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Did you try in your glove box? Specifically the owners manual? That's where I found instructions on how to change the fob battery on mine.

7. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

These key fob batteries have been lasting only 2-3 years, poor quality or depends on how much the customer uses it! I had to change out the battery on our 2011 Grand Cheokee after the 2 year mark as the instrument panel keep telling us thst it doesn't recognize a key fob. New battery cured that.

8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Still have the original batteries in both fobs for our '06 Ram. But I've had to replace the batteries in the Journey fobs at least once. Go figure. Then again neither have remote start either.