Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Liberty Limited Jet Edition Dome Lights Screwy!

Discussion in 'Cherokee, Liberty, Nitro' started by Double A, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Double A

Double A Member

Ok, my wife just purchased a used 2012 Liberty Jet edition with 70,000 miles on it. Seems to run great, looks real good, it has all the bells and whistles. However, the dome lights act screwy. Allow me to elaborate:
    When you open the doors, the driver and passenger floor lamps come on, the overhead dome lights do not. If you push any of them with the door or hatch open, the overheads do not come on but, if the door is closed and the key is in the "on" or "run" position, pushing one (either driver, passenger or either of the rear passenger) it will come on. If you push any of the others, all overhead dome lights come on but they are ALL dim while the floor lights remain bright. I looked all over the internet, checked all fuses, they are good, checked the turn signal switch, it has no effect on the overhead, it dims the instrument panel as advertised, it turns on and off the floor lights as advertised but has no effect on the overhead domes. I read somewhere to turn them all on and shut the door, wait for them to extinguish and then open the door and they will work just fine. WRONG. turning them on and shutting the door, they never extinguish. They remain on. I also read somewhere about the rear wiper having issues also stops the domes from lighting. The rear wiper works as advertised. I've checked all the door switches, they all work as advertised including the rear hatch lift. So this one has me puzzled. It is frustrating because I like to have the lights come on at night when I open the door to get in or out and only the front floor lights work correctly. Any help? Thanks in advanced!

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The courtesy lamps driver is a Yl/Wt wire and the reading lamps driver is a Yl/LB wire from the instrument cluster assembly (also called an EMIC or CCN module). It has taken over the previous BCM functions on newer vehicles.
    You should have about 12 volts on each wire out of the rear of the cluster. If the reading lamp driver voltage is low and the courtesy lamp driver is OK, then there may be an instrument cluster issue?
    You also want to make sure that the A-pillar trim retainers or sun visor screws aren't pinching the wiring harness where it travels up to and across the headliner. A pinch to ground can cause a voltage drop and/or damage the cluster.

3. Double A

Double A Member

Thanks, Ill check that.