Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Dart Recalls

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by Scott Johnson, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

Why is it that when I try take my 2013 Dart in for one of the several recalls the parts are never available? I live in Dallas/Ft. Worth and we must have 20-30 Dodge dealerships and they all give me this story. With the latest recall involving the brakes (R63), this is a safety issue. I like my Dart, but I have just about had it. There is another recall out there that I have been trying to get fixed for over a year. This just isn't right.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It's a common FCA problem and it's why the government agencies are after them. There are too many long waits for recall parts.

Mopartial likes this.
  3. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

I have a good friend that is the part's manager at a large Dodge - Chrysler - Jeep - Ram dealership. He began working in a Dodge dealership part's department 32 years ago, and has worked in dealer parts for the past 32 years.

He has told me several times that it is common to have to wait months for parts for cars that are only several years old. Many, many recall parts are on back-order and also takes months. He is very frustrated and said the part's delays are the worst he has seen in 32 years of experience.

4. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

So I guess they would rather have their customers get killed and have the heirs sue them for negligence. Ridiculous.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I remember during the bankruptcy 'adjustment', some parts were just not available. Mopar was under reorganization to combine with Magneti Marelli. We called it Galactic Backorder.
    You may want to go up the ladder to the next echelon and see if being a little more adamant, while still being polite will get you anywhere faster?
    A customer's voice may have more direct pull than a dealer when it comes to concerns like this.

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Not every recall is a safety issue.

7. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

Umm, I think multiple brake issues (R3 and R6) are a safety issue.

8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Agreed. I'm just commenting that not every single recall is always a safety issue. Are most of them? Probably. But not all.

9. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Either a safety or emissions defect is recallable. Even if the vehicle conformed to FMVSS at the time of manufacture, if there are enough complaints to NHTSA or the EPA, then there will likely be an investigation.
    Sometimes there is a court fight and compromise. The controversy of the possible Jeep gas tank fire-ball in a rear end collision was 'solved' by the dealer adding a trailer hitch for free. Many motorists have never showed up for their free hitch. It may be unfair, but other vehicles with highly statistical fire hazards were never penalized. There were questions of improper testimony.
    There are also 'voluntary' customer satisfaction recalls, sometimes called a 'campaign'. Some extended 'satisfaction' warranties cover things like structural rustout (safety) in salt belt states.
    There are RRT's (Rapid Response Transmittals) for a repair assuming the vehicle just left the factory and a flaw was discovered and the vehicle is surmised to be still on the dealer lot (not sold yet). There are some escapes.
    A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is not a recall. It is covered as long as the vehicle is under warranty. There are Extended Federal Emission warranties (8/80) that cover the PCM and Catalyst.
    The exploding Takata airbag cylinders were thought only to be a problem in warm/humid areas. That recall has been expanded and keeps expanding. As a note, airbags have saved far, far more lives than those lost or injured by airbags.
    We live in a highly litigious society.
    I am not excusing any manufacturer for excessively long delays in meeting the obligation of performing a recall caused by a defect.

10. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes
    Level III Supporter

Is it just the 2013s? I'm looking at a loaded and still-new'16 Dart Limited for a steal of a price in S.C., but buying problems are never a bargain.

#10 Mopartial, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

12. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes
    Level III Supporter

Thank you! Yeah, in Greenville, S.C, with leather seats, blind spot detection, park assist, sunroof and the 2.4: $22K advertised. Test drove one in Chattanooga and was surprised by the 2.4. Has better get-up than the 2.4 in my old '96 Stratus. The Dart as a similar smooth ride.

PCRMike likes this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

“The exploding Takata airbag cylinders were thought only to be a problem in warm/humid areas. That recall has been expanded and keeps expanding. As a note, airbags have saved far, far more lives than those lost or injured by airbags.”

Yes - they realized that the warmth and humidity accelerates the failures, but that people anywhere can have the same problems eventually. Given limited stocks, they started with the most urgent cases and moved on. Hence the Chrysler airbags came after the Toyota and Honda ones — because the Chrysler ones were not as dangerous in reality (actually there’s no evidence I know of that they fail at all, but it seems likely they do).

ImperialCrown likes this.
  14. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

I had a 2013 Dart. Loved it. Replaced it last year. Toss up between the 200 and Dart. 200 won with a similar price and smoother ride combined with equal MPG. Thus far, I am pleased with my decision. I have a 90 mile drive each way to and from work.

Mopartial likes this.