Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Dodge Dart-Reliability

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by Scott Johnson, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

It is funny, I see all these reports out there in the media about the poor reliability of the Darts. I have owned a 2013 Dart SXT with the 2.0 Tigershark and 6spd auto since November of 2012. I have been nothing but impressed. I sold my Jaguar and bought this car due to a divorce.

Anyway, I live in a large city and have a long commute. Daily driving involves freeway speed and a ton of stop and go traffic. Without the A/C on, I average around 30-31 mpg overall, not far off the EPA estimate. The A/C does knock off 1-2 mpg.

Here are my observations after 3+ years and 56K miles:

Good:
    1. The Dart still remains one of the most stylish compacts out there.
    2. The Dart has been flawless during my ownership so far.
    3. The transmission is much smoother that I expected, after owning a 6spd auto Chevy Cruze back in 2011 (which was choppy as heck with that little turbo motor).
    4. I love it overall.

Not so Good:

1. The windshield cracked at about 36K with no rock or projectile contact. It remains so today. It appears to have started at the bottom of the windshield where the hood covers it.
    2. I live in Texas and it is often very hot. The Tigershark does NOT like hot weather. It seems to loos a lot of power in those conditions.
    3. The front end is starting to make noises. It may be do to one of the recalls I have not had fixed yet. Thoughts on this?

Just wanted to give my real world experience.

Thanks

somber and Dave Z like this.
  2. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

In regards to your loss of power in very hot conditions, was wondering if you had perhaps tried a different brand of fuel to see if that made any difference. Or, perhaps, moved up to a higher octane - like midgrade fuel.

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

I have not tried that. I will. One of the things I am curious about is the thin oil weight in these cares. I don't use the OEM oil, but rather an Amsoil synthetic. I wonder if the heat reduces the effectiveness of such a thin oil.

4. pjfsu331

pjfsu331 Member

Looking at the NHTSA website, there appears to be a major brake booster issue. If your involved in that recall, you may want to get that addressed - if parts are available...

I had a 2013 Limited with the 1.4L and 6-spd from about 08/12 to 06/14. Didn't have any major issues with it. Sometimes when I started it, the gas gauge wouldn't register properly. There was a background ticking sound when I streamed music over bluetooth. It was a decent car, kind of a slog around town but on the highway I could easily get 40mpg.

FWIW if they debuted it with the 2.4L and/or actually put in the 9-spd like they said they would, I think the Dart would have been way more successful than it has been.

somber likes this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Agreed on the 2.4 but the nine speed was not ready yet (arguably it wasn't really ready until the 2016 model year)

somber and tomit like this.
  6. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Agreed with my 2013 2.0 Limited. Gobs of comfort compared to my coworkers with Hyundai and Fords, Nissans and Yotas. Has been flawless for 46k until the shifter switch went out at the mechanism. Extended warranty. :) Perfectly awesome for my 2 hour commute each way. Had a company car, but now I drive this. Lots of miles to come, but also lots of smiles. Around 40 on the hwy. Way better than the sticker said, but I also drive gently. LOL

somber likes this.