Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Dodge Journey dead battery

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by nanacanjo, Oct 28, 2014.

1. nanacanjo

nanacanjo New Member

Less than 14,000 miles. Perfect for about 15 months. Love this car but something is draining the battery. Fourth time towed into dealer. Is anyone else having this problem

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. An intermittent battery draw can be difficult and frustrating to find. It almost has to be confirmed while it is occurring, otherwise everything appears to be normal.
    The dealer should be able to access TSB's on this problem. What has the dealer done so far?

3. John Wood

John Wood Well-Known Member

Was anything left in the power outlet (GPS cord, Cell phone charger...). One of my outlets on the minivan is set up to be energized all the time, so I need to be careful not to leave a charger in there for a long time.

4. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

My 2010 has a "feature" that turns on the interior lights when the key fob gets close.... but my key rack in my house was near the limit for this function, so it would turn them on and off quite randomly.

Fortunately, this feature can be disabled... check your owner's manual for details.

Cornupenuria likes this.
  5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

6. nanacanjo

nanacanjo New Member

They have replaced the battery twice and charged it twice. I believe they are working with Chrysler and their technical support bulletins.

7. nanacanjo

nanacanjo New Member

Seldom even use the charger and very careful to not leave anything plugged in

8. nanacanjo

nanacanjo New Member

I believe they updated the software on the first time it was towed in. Nothing seems to be off on their diagnostic tests. Car runs fine then the next morning will not start. Almost always a totally dead battery. Car is driven pretty much every day

9. nanacanjo

nanacanjo New Member

I had read this in another forum. Key rack at least 30 feet from vehicle. However, just in case I moved it to the back bedroom

10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Something is either staying on or a module is staying awake. IOD (ignition off draw) should be a small amount to keep memories and listening for an RKE signal alive.
    I should be in the order of ~50-100 mA.
    I use a small sidemarker bulb in series with a battery terminal after shutting the car off. It may glow dimly for awhile. That is normal.
    If it glows brighter than a dull orange, the battery may be dead by morning. In this mode, the dealer should be able to go in and rule out circuits one by one by disconnecting them until draw is reduced to an acceptable amount.
    When you find the circuit that is drawing excessive current, you have probably found your answer.

Hankster and Doug D like this.
  11. nanacanjo

nanacanjo New Member

I appreciate the reply, I am waiting for further instructions from Chrysler Customer Care, If you OK with you , I will forward this to the service manager.

12. nanacanjo

nanacanjo New Member

Thanks for the response. I am waiting for a response from Chrysler Customer Care. If it is OK with you, I will forward this to the service manager at my dealership.

13. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Best of luck to you and the dealer. Again, if this is 'intermittent' and the battery draw problem isn't there, then everything will appear to be working correctly. They have to catch it while it is acting up or try to 'tease' it into acting up.

14. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to an issue with the 2009-2011 Dodge Charger with a bad SKREEM module and door handles combining to keep the IOD active for long periods of time. I'll see if I can track the RRT down and PM you with it.

15. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a similar problem to one my 2011 Journey had - working fine for days/weeks and then BAM, dead battery. They finally replaced some controller module (wish I could remember what one), but that finally fixed it. As paullybob stated above, it kept in active state for long period of time, draining the battery.

16. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Active Member

I can remember somebody having a defective CMOS chip in the clock circuit in the radio drain the battery overnight.

17. paullybob

Here's the RRT you need to look for but I remind everyone that theses issues are usually VIN specific so it may or may not be for your particular vehicle. Search for this RRT information:

Chrysler RRT 11-082 for 2011 Journey/Charger/300

18. paullybob

As an add-on to this conversation, I just installed a battery warmer to my 2013 last weekend. The battery, like several other Chrysler products, resides in the driver side fender well. I cleaned up the battery connections and emptied out all the gravel and dirt from the battery tray area, installing the blanket was a cinch and routing the electric cord was painless. Hopefully, this keeps my battery temperature about zero or so on those coldest nights and let me get full juice for starting this winter.

Only note I'd add is the negative terminal on my Journey has a cast zinc sensor/battery terminal that would be prone to damage by overtighteneing so please be careful if you come upon this particular issue.

19. mcubillo

mcubillo New Member

I've had to replace the battery twice in my '09 Journey. The problems start with some intermittent non-start where only a click happens when the key is turned and then progressively get worse. Everything seems OK, then battery completely drained.

The new battery takes care of all those issues. Unfortunately the battery life has been very short.

20. paullybob

UPDATE!!!! After installing the battery warmer (still on the OE battery BTW) and undergoing several cold nights up here, I can safely and gladly report that the battery warmer is the way to go!! Sure, the Journey still squeals like a stuck pig on start up and the power steering pump groans like its gonna explode but they all do right? The Journey turns over with ease, all the electronics fire up first shot in the morning (i.e. no more flickering or blank Uconnect screen) and there are no more unexplained audio alerts for whatever.

This is just the beginning of our winter here, I'll post up as the weather gets even colder for longer periods of time to let you know if this is a permanent fix.

Happy New Year everyone!!!!!

floridaman2013 likes this.