Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Kia Optima intermittent no-start

Discussion in 'Non-Mopar Tech Support' started by T-Dot25, Oct 4, 2015.

1. T-Dot25

T-Dot25 Member

Hey, everyone :)

Sorry I haven't been around -- I've been visiting family for the past month.

My sister has herself a 2013 Kia Optima with Command Start through the Key Fob. She currently has two dead batteries on both key fobs so she just uses the key to enter the car and hasn't had time to get new batteries and have them reprogrammed.

I have been driving her car and she mentioned that there are times it would take anywhere between 2 to 4 times to start after driving and shut-off. I also noticed it would do this at times with it parked over night. It does turn over but now it seems a bit more finicky when wanting to start. Mechanically, everything looks and appears sound. This honestly sounds as though it is like a communication issue between the fob, command start or computer, possibly the ignition switch. My sister mentioned that she had the command start serviced once before and the vehicle is under warranty but as per usual, they said it didn't do it for them. I find that highly suspect as it does it immediately after shut-off and I have no problem getting it to do it for me. o_O

I am bringing it in to the dealer so a bit of helpful thoughts and advice are welcome. The questions I have for the members are:

What is your experience with intermittent no-start issues (Mopar or non-Mopar related) that might occur because of communication issues with command start or dead batteries/reprogramming of the key fob?

How should I approach the dealer on this issue so that my sister can get better service response?

Could this simply be a matter of new batteries and reprogramming the fob?

I want to ensure that her concerns are being respected.

Thanks again! :D

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Demonstrate the problem for the dealer so they can witness it happen.
    They may not have gotten it to act up for them before because they didn't know under what circumstances it was hard to start.

T-Dot25 likes this.
  3. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Like I said in the past give me a key anyday.

T-Dot25 likes this.
  4. T-Dot25

T-Dot25 Member

Yup, I figure I will have to demonstrate the issue which shouldn't be a problem because it does it all the time now and when the car is shut down.

That being said, I too, would take a key any day. When I heard it would cost $50+ dollah to replace the batteries and reprogram the fobs, it nearly blew me over :eek:

5. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

Did you read the vehicle owner's manual to see if it has instructions on how to replace the FOB battery and determine if it has to be reprogrammed?

I have a 2014 Impala LTZ and a 2015 Expedition Limited. When the FOB battery dies, you simply replace the battery. It does not have to be reprogramed. Both vehicles will display a "low fob battery" message in the driver information center prior to the FOB battery dying. Your sister let bot FOB batteries die?

T-Dot25 likes this.
  6. T-Dot25

T-Dot25 Member

Eeeeeyeeah, my sister isn't exactly on top of these things and from what she was told, battery has to be replaced through dealer or parts store that does battery replacement and reprogramming. These fobs need reprogramming, unfortunately.

However, I too am surprised both batteries need replacing, and they have to be done at the same time from what I know. Neither work. I will check all the paperwork on the car, manual etc. The in car manual says absolutely nothing on the key fobs.

Okay, I was just told she hadn't replaced batteries since she bought the car in January, 2014. Still, would that cause miscommunication issues intermittently with periodic no-starts? That's something I need to know.

7. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

It is possible that the key fob battery / batteries are not dead. If the key fob has been dropped this could jar the battery contacts and cause a poor connection. This would lead one to believe the battery is depleted / dead. Do a search on YouTube for replacing key fob battery in Kia vehicles and adjusting battery contacts. One video is below.

T-Dot25 likes this.
  8. T-Dot25

T-Dot25 Member

Yup, I already watched the video, but her key fob is different from the one they show in the video. There is no way to open this fob except, the back which has what looks like the shape of a mini sd card but that won't pry open either or it requires special do-hicky tool to open. Really, I do not understand why a key fob has to be so complicated.

Thank you, though.

9. 1999 White C5 Coupe

Section 4 of the 2013 Kia Optima vehicle owner's manual has written and picture instructions on how to replace the FOB battery (using CR2032) for both types of FOBs used for the Optima. The manual does NOT state anything about having the FOB reprogrammed. It does state if you are unsure how to replace the battery, to contact your dealer.

Did you and/or your sister read the vehicle owner's manual?

10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Once programmed, the RKE should hold the program.
    Since these operate on a 'rolling' code (a different digital sequence at every button push to prevent thieves from mimicking your code), it may have fallen out of sequence and need to be 'synched' with the RKE receiver in the vehicle. I believe that the CommandStart may work the same way.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_code

T-Dot25 likes this.
  11. T-Dot25

T-Dot25 Member

Yes, I read through the manual. I thought that was obvious from this thread. The fob is different because she has command start. It is nothing like the original and it is nothing like the one in the video. Note the photos -- and I have tried taking the back off of this but it won't budge and I don't want to damage it either. Yes, the dealer said that it needs to be brought in and reprogrammed but that is not my questions.

I asked members here if they know of issues of intermittent no-start whereby a fob has a dead battery or doesnt function and can create a communication issue between other components like the computer and command start. She does not have push button start inside the vehicle. The command start is through the fob only.

My curiosity is around fob's and communication issues. Without a functioning fob can there be communication issues because it is not working and so does the computer or the command start sense that and act like it doesn't recognize the key in ignition thus intermittent no-start. When the dealer says to my sister that maybe you are not pushing the key into the ignition, then I have a problem with that. The key either goes into the ignition or it doesn't; it either turns over or it doesn't; the ignition either works or it doesn't. In this case, the ignition is working but if it isn't, that translates into a communication problem and one that may be mechanical. So, you see my delimma--I want to cover all the bases before going into the dealer.

20151005_142751.jpg

20151005_142811.jpg

12. T-Dot25

T-Dot25 Member

Thank you! That is what I am wondering because the receiver is wireless and it makes me think that a failed fob might still translate into a failure to receive communication and thus cause the occasional no-start after a few tries and then starts and drives fine.

13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

All I can tell you is when I have had dead batteries in our key fobs (2010 Journey & 2006 Ram) the key worked fine in the ignition and no problems with starting. Just needed to replace the fob batteries to be able to use the fob to unlock/lock the doors. Neither vehicle has remote start. I realize that's not much help. Dead fob batteries shouldn't disallow the car from starting via the key in the switch.

Just a guess here - maybe there's an issue with the ignition that won't allow the fob to operate remotely?

T-Dot25 likes this.
  14. T-Dot25

T-Dot25 Member

Thanks, that's very helpful! Gives me another avenue of interpretation when discussing this with service at the dealer. It is very possible that the ignition can be at fault here regardless of dead fobs -- it supports the validity of the approach I will take with the dealer to investigate this more closely. It is not coding so any ideas on issues like this are helpful.

Thanks again!

15. 1999 White C5 Coupe

The 2013 Kia Optima came with a 5 year / 60,000 mile basic warranty.

Is the car still under the basic warranty?

T-Dot25 and Doug D like this.
  16. T-Dot25

T-Dot25 Member

Yup, still under warranty...that's the good news. But warranties are only as good as a dealer who will fix your car under that warranty and incur the cost. But, to be fair, service departments have to work with what they have and it is an intermittent problem. I just want to be sure they will investigate all avenues that relate to fobs, command start, and ignition, then go from there if it is not resolved.

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them all.

17. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

It seems odd that the batteries would be bad after only a year and 3/4. All of my remotes have lasted 4-5 years at minimum. I'm thinking something else is going on.

T-Dot25 and AC TC like this.
  18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Still have the original fob batteries for my '06 Ram. That's over 9 years (manufactured in Nov 2005). Had to replace the fob batteries for the keys I use for our Journey at the 4 year mark.

T-Dot25 likes this.
  19. Locodave

Locodave Member

I was buying some parts in autozone the other day. I saw a machine that tests your remote by pointing it at it. Pressing a button on the remote. Don't know if it would work on yours.

Other thought was batterys plus will swap out a battery if you buy one from them. Let them do it? And have them test the old battery too? -> https://www.batteriesplus.com/promotions

If the old battery was bad, I would not think it needs re-programming.

T-Dot25 likes this.
  20. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I had a friend with a BMW that would crank and not start most of the time with one key; usually but not always start with the second key; and 3rd key always started. That car has an antenna ring around the lock cylinder which reads an analog signal from the key fob, passes it to a module that does A/D conversion, then to another module that reads the digital signal and decides if it is valid, and if so, enables the ASD relay and coil. We probed the entire path and decided that 2 of the 3 fobs had a bad capacitor (no battery in them) or a bad internal solder joint.

T-Dot25 likes this.