AF: 2014 C/V (Grand Caravan) Windshield Breakage | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 C/V (Grand Caravan) Windshield Breakage

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by Scot Wiseman, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Scot Wiseman

Scot Wiseman New Member

Maybe its just me, but I have now been through 3 windshields in this van, it seems excessive to me and I was wondering if this was a common occurrence, as I never had had any trouble like this in any previous vehicles, and I have owned alot of brands and types.
    It seems to star very easily if a nearly invisible rock hits it, maybe the angle? After a few stars it them proceeds to crack horizontally across the entire piece from side to side. I have had safelite replace them before, and will have to do it again before the end of the year I guess. When they star I do immediately put clear nail polish over the crack to keep the moisture out, and I avoid putting full heat on defrost as that seems to cause it to stress crack. All paved roads up here, no gravel, but occasional potholes which I try to avoid.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I had the windshield glass replaced in the Caliber a few years ago. I asked for a replacement Mopar glass and they obliged.
    There is some non-OEM glass out there that may have material/construction quality issues. Does your windshield say Mopar on it?
    I stay farther back from trucks on the highways now.

3. Scot Wiseman

Scot Wiseman New Member

No, this was a safelite install, I dont see any mopar on it, but the original one (mopar) did the same thing, made a left turn and it split across the center. Small rocks are apparently thrown up by passing cars, I dont follow any trucks on purpose.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My truck is 29 years old and on its 6th windshield. When my brother owned it, he had it replaced and two weeks later, was driving from FL to MA when a rock cracked it. His insurance company actually investigated him.
    In our case, the nearly vertical angle of the glass guarantees that it will crack when hit. Other cars I've had, such as Daytonas, have a shallow enough angle that rocks mostly just skip off them.

5. Scot Wiseman

Scot Wiseman New Member

Thats what I am thinking, must be the angle, but the horizontal splitting has to be from body roll, never before had one split across the middle from one side to the other all at once. Maybe defroster, both occurred in the early part of winter. Inspection is due by December, so will probably have to replace it once again by then.