AF: 2014 Chevrolet Equinox | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Chevrolet Equinox

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by Doug D, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

So the LF turn signal bulb stopped working. Thought it would be a relatively easy thing to replace. Nope. Have to remove an access panel from the wheel well to even touch the assembly. The headlight bulb can be easily reached, but the turn signal bulb is above the headlight and is somewhat blocked by a frame. Removed a panel from above (in the hood area) that allowed me to at least see what I was up against. Couldn't leverage the bulb base to turn at all. If that had been successful then I could have removed the bulb from the wheel well access. Spent 90 minutes messing with it before I gave up.

Ended up taking it to the dealer as the windshield wipers failed. Apparently the link ball socket failed. Could hear the motor running, but the wipers don't move. Fortunately I had received a letter from GM stating they had extended the original warranty on this part to 10 years / 150,000 miles. The good news is the dealer is only charging me $18.99 to replace the bulb. Local shop estimated $60-$190 ($190 if they had to remove the bumper cover) to replace the bulb. Also having them do an oil change service so the total is only $75.94. That's far less than what I was expecting.

DC-93 likes this.
  2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Good luck with that Equinox. Doug. I had an 07 that was a huge POS. I took a beating on it, but traded it for the awesome 2013 Chrysler I drove problem free for over 150,000 miles.

DC-93 likes this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Well, I spoke too soon. Got it back this afternoon. Wipers are fixed and the oil change completed, but the LF turn signal bulb still does not work. Don't they check their work? Who knows? I suspect another bad bulb or the bulb went bad or the tech simply forgot to perform the work with all the other work that needed to be done.

DC-93 likes this.
  4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet the tech either forgot or doesn't know how to get to it either, Doug! LOL Mine had cloudy headlights and I bought some online and had a heck of a time getting to one screw in order to remove them. I was happy that the new headlights came with ALL new bulbs. Maybe that's why the loaded the lights for me?

DC-93 likes this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

As intimidating as it sounds to remove the front bumper cover to change a light, it's really not that bad.
    I had one car that required this (maybe it was the Dodge Magnum?). I just popped out a few reusable plastic rivets, pulled the cover out a bit, and replaced the bulb. Much easier than it sounds. usually you can find a how-to video online.

chuzz and DC-93 like this.
  6. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

inexcusable ..... every extieor bulb should easliy be changer by the average person!!

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Big deal out of nothing. Despite the fact I had to loosen the bumper cover - it took no longer than changing an old sealed beam headlight where you had to remove the bezel before replacing the light. It SOUNDS worse. In reality, it isn't.

DC-93, chuzz and page2171 like this.