Allpar Forums banner

2014 Jeep Cherokee interior spied!

16K views 58 replies 27 participants last post by  Truck451 
#1 ·
#53 ·
Bob_Sheaves said:
It would be even nicer if people READ the owner's manual about the limits on towing the NVG231 used and stop blowing the front output bearings from towing them too far without engaging the drive to circulate the oil. The 242 had an oil pump in the t/case for this issue.
Us there are a few TJ's towed behind RV's.
The majority I see are 242 equipped Libertys and Grand. Cherokees.
Also a fair amount of Patriots and JK's with the 231.
The owners manual is very clear but some either don't read it or are confused by the terminology...and some owners manuals are only on disc. ;)

#54 ·
Bob_Sheaves said:
It would be even nicer if people READ the owner's manual about the limits on towing the NVG231 used and stop blowing the front output bearings from towing them too far without engaging the drive to circulate the oil. The 242 had an oil pump in the t/case for this issue.
Grabbed my owner's manual out of my 2001 XJ and looked under Recreational Towing. The owner's manual says nothing about towing limits on a four wheel drive XJ.
It does state that with a 2 wheel drive XJ and manual transmission you are limited to 50 miles. It says to stop hourly and run the engine to insure lubrication of the transmission rear bearings and bushings.

My 01 has the 242 but I doubt there were separate owner's manuals for 231 and 242 vehicles. Both transfer cases were available in the last year of production. I also do not remember any warnings in the owner's manual for my 1989 XJ that did have the 231. But that was almost 12 years ago since I last read that.

#55 ·
MoparNorm said:
Us there are a few TJ's towed behind RV's.
The majority I see are 242 equipped Libertys and Grand. Cherokees.
Also a fair amount of Patriots and JK's with the 231.
The owners manual is very clear but some either don't read it or are confused by the terminology...and some owners manuals are only on disc. ;)
I'd hope those Patriots were dolly towed and 2WD, the manual specifically says not to flat tow them and that the 4X4 had to be towed all wheels up. Otherwise I would think they'd have issues later on.

#56 ·
Bob_Sheaves said:
The Patriot never had the 231-it was N-S only (the Patriot and Compass are E-W drivelines).
That's right, it wasn't my intent to infer the Patriot had a 231, just that I've also seen them towed along with JK's.

#57 ·
link3721 said:
I'd hope those Patriots were dolly towed and 2WD, the manual specifically says not to flat tow them and that the 4X4 had to be towed all wheels up. Otherwise I would think they'd have issues later on.
At 65 MPH, going in the opposite direction, I didn't have time to crawl underneath... ;)

I can't remember if they were on dollies or not, I'm also not aware of any "kit" to facilitate towing the Patriot, but I have seen several behind motor homes, so I assume there may be a way...or those guys were in for trouble. That may well be a problem for Liberkee(r) as well, if they didn't make provisions for flat towing. RV'rs seem to like to tow Jeeps.

#58 ·
MoparNorm said:
At 65 MPH, going in the opposite direction, I didn't have time to crawl underneath... ;)

I can't remember if they were on dollies or not, I'm also not aware of any "kit" to facilitate towing the Patriot, but I have seen several behind motor homes, so I assume there may be a way...or those guys were in for trouble. That may well be a problem for Liberkee(r) as well, if they didn't make provisions for flat towing. RV'rs seem to like to tow Jeeps.
Did some digging. Apparently you could flat tow a Patriot with a manual transmission. Wish I could find a way to tow my automatic without a trailer so I could pull it behind the minivan.

#59 ·
Bob_Sheaves said:
I doubt it. Depends on which PTO is used-the new Cherokee has no transfer case like you seem to envision.
Bob_Sheaves said:
Not necessarily better OR worse. "Different" is all. The problem is that you cannot (by using a current transaxle) disconnect the FRONT axle without a complete redesign. Remember this uses the same transaxle with a PTO controlling the rear power delivery. It COULD be done, but is expensive to redesign an existing PTO just to add a normally unused function.
MoparNorm said:
Just a footnote:
There are literally thousands of Jeeps towed behind motorhomes, primarily because RV associations and word of mouth has let folks know that Jeeps are towable.

It would be nice if the Foreign managers knew that.
CherokeeVision said:
Grabbed my owner's manual out of my 2001 XJ and looked under Recreational Towing. The owner's manual says nothing about towing limits on a four wheel drive XJ.
It does state that with a 2 wheel drive XJ and manual transmission you are limited to 50 miles. It says to stop hourly and run the engine to insure lubrication of the transmission rear bearings and bushings.

My 01 has the 242 but I doubt there were separate owner's manuals for 231 and 242 vehicles. Both transfer cases were available in the last year of production. I also do not remember any warnings in the owner's manual for my 1989 XJ that did have the 231. But that was almost 12 years ago since I last read that.
A photo of my 2002 KJ being towed behind our RV:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.