Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Jeep Patriot 2.0L 126k miles

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by slosland, Jun 27, 2017.

1. slosland

slosland Member

I've found this vehicle at a really good price, it was a fleet vehicle. How reliable is the 2.0L engine and is there anything I should look for with such high mileage?

It's FWD with not a lot of bells and whistles but LOOKS to be in great shape. It will be used for primarily trips to town (25 miles) on rural roads.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. tomit

Ad-Free Member

Any used vehicle - pay your favorite mechanic to look it over and calculate the cost of needed repairs. Others could provide expected component longevity.

RonGD likes this.
  3. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

It seems like the world engines are generally reliable, if a little thirsty. Things to check for are suspension components and and transmission service. CVT service should have been performed at least once.

RonGD likes this.
  4. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

As link3721 says, definitely have the suspension checked. If those vehicles have one major weakness, that's it.

5. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I have a 2003 Dodge Neon with 2.0 liter 4 cylinder. It is running strong at 302,000+ miles with oil consumption of about 1 quart per 5000 miles. In a 2014 Patriot that would be a world engine with chain drive to the overhead cam assembly. It would have variable valve timing.

If you could find a shop with a small boroscope camera peer into the valve cover to see if there is sludge accumulation. You have a separate belt that drives the water pump (not from the timing belt) and chain drive to the camshaft. That eliminates periodic maintenance on a timing belt.

I would be seriously concerned about the CVT transmission longevity. Jatco makes the CVT transmission for many different auto manufacturers. The weak spot is the steel belt inside the transmission that rides on the variable diameter pulleys. Metal fatigue in the belt links can cause a catastrophic failure over time. These transmissions are not repairable. If something fails you replace it.

View this link to a DIY technician who had a complete failure of the CVT transmission in a Nissan Rogue. His teardown of the failed transmission is interesting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Hhxrk9D3I

RonGD likes this.
  6. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

The CVTs are fine if well maintained. I think the owners manual says to get the transmission service every 120k miles, my dealer recommends 60k miles. Based on the sounds my CVT was making at 55k, I think 60k is good insurance.

7. slosland

slosland Member

This vehicle has the 6 speed automatic.

8. 2012srtchallenger

Supporter

I have many friends with these cars and the caliber and compass,all have been good cars and very reliable.from talking to a local dealer tech he had not had trouble from the 2.0 or 2.4.service trans and tune it up drive it.

9. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Ball joints are a weak spot on them though. Calibers especially. Have them replaced with the best Napa or similar ones you can get and you will be good for a lon time yet.